Chapter Nineteen

Começar do início

"Thank you."

"You are welcome, do not take long. We will continue training once you are done."

Siggy accompanied me back to the hall, telling me of his exploits from earlier. He was seven years old, and the energy he possessed always interested me. "I was told when I am older, I will inherit this kingdom. It is mine; the gods have willed it."

"I am certain they have," I beamed through heavy breathing.

"And my brother and sister will help me rule it."

Esme would likely not, but crushing his dreams was not my job to do. "Of course, Erik and Esme will be here."

"I meant my mother's new son, but Erik as well." Children knew little of hierarchy and the cruel way the world could be. My thoughts weighed little on how Eira might affect the thinking of young Siggy, but the comments rattled me.

"How is Eira?"

"She is walking with my uncle. He said he wanted her to stay moving."

"I am certain he will help her with that." I hide the snicker. Meili had not hidden his disdain of Liedolf and Eira. He said nothing, and because he said nothing, I feared there was more to whatever he had planned.

The hall overflowed with people, all chatting at the long tables amongst themselves. I move quickly to my chair next to Meili's throne. My food was waiting for me as it often was when Gyda was in the hall. I took the soup and watched adoringly out at Esme and Erik. They sat amid the people on a blanket with their wooden toys and Gyda. They appeared happy, but I figured we all seemed that way. All I could see in their future was danger.

"My Lady." Geoffrey nodded, walking up to me. I had not expected him, Thorsten and Geoffrey had been away from the city for over a month. There was no word from them other than an occasional sentry telling of the battle they had avoided and a near cease-fire with Haestan.

Haestan was a vast man, and he was known for his loyalty, and it was clear that Meili no longer had his dedication.

"Geoffrey!" I yipped and wrapped my arms around his neck for a quick embrace. "It is wonderful to see you, where is Thorsten."

"He is still there my lady, I am only coming back to deliver a message to you and then the King."

"What message is there for me?" I whispered. "Is Thorsten well?"

"He is well, he sends to you this," He extends his hand, placing the necklace in it. The small necklace was one that he wore every day, Thor's anvil. The weighty silver felt light in my hand, just thinking of Thorsten and his return to the city.

"Thank you." I clutched it against my chest.

"It is our hope to return within the month."

"That is great to hear." I shook my head. "What news do you give the King?"

He stepped closer. "Haestan challenges the King to a duel. He wishes to have his crown."

"A duel?"

"To the death, my lady, for glory and honor. I will speak with the King now." He dismissed me, walking into the crowd looking for Meili.

"To the death?" I mumbled under my breath.

Eira

Liedolf pushed his fingers through my hair and placed his forehead against mine. "I have secured a way out of here for you with Sigtrygrr and Esme if that is what you want." He breathed deep and kissed me. I wasn't sure how he was feeling these days. Leidolf had a wife, though she was older and silent most times she was respected within the kingdom.