Chapter 11: The newest nuisance

And so, Danny was confused at how quickly everything happened. The gravity anomalies striking with full might, the portal nearly activating, the dramatic distrust and faith in someone...everything was there. Poetic. Too sad that Phantom was so busy trying to hide the corpses of the agents. Being a half ghost and having certain abilities implied that he could toss them through the metal wall, where they would be many feet below the ground. Where nobody would ever find them. God, what point had he come to? Burying the corpses, like he was some sort of criminal. Now more agents would come and his quiet stay would be ruined!

But that contemplation had to wait. Out of the window of the entrance room he saw that there was a newcomer. Stan's brother. Who was also named Stan. Danny hadn't quite caught up. What did matter is the fact that it happened after the final anomaly that struck with enormous force. Phantom thought he had broken something. He had just been about to come check up on the others when the author of the journal emerged from the portal and punched his brother in the face. Phantom couldn't quite hear what was going on down there, but both his consciousness and Bill were urging him to leave the family do their own things. He would only be a bother. All the way upstairs Danny could hear giddy laughter inside his head.

"I take it you like the results," the teen said.

"You kidding? I haven't been this excited since the Market Crash of 1929! What?" Bill asked in the end upon noticing Phantom's expression.

"You stole this phrase."

"I did not!" Bill mentally pouted, but his pal could not see him. "Why the long face? We should celebrate my undeniable success!"

"That's it," Danny shut the door behind him, "Get out of my head!"

Bill popped up in front of him, looking genuinely confused at his anger.

"What's going on with you?" The dream demon asked in confusion.

"What's going on? I let you take my body to help me escape, not murder them!" Phantom whisper yelled.

"Relax, goody-two-shoes, you are not a murderer. You don't blame a knife of being a maniac ripper."

"Are you comparing me to an instrument?"

"Look how touchy he is. No, I am not. The point is that you were not able to do anything against. Nobody to blame but me. And I kind of enjoy my role as a scapegoat. Anyway, I think you'd better clean up around here. In the meanwhile...I'll get rid of the rest of the agents here. Without killings now."

"Okay," Danny sighed, "I'll get down to it. And you'd better stick to your words."

Bill vanished. Phantom in the meantime got to cleaning up the rubble left from the agents. They had blown up the wall. Afterwards Danny began cleaning up everything. Once Bill returned, the dream demon explained that he had...not possessed an agent (he needed permission for that), but he could make an illusion or two. Their team just left, even the rest of the GIW, and Danny could finally breath peacefully. As he was swiping the floor near the fridge, the half ghost heard footsteps. The Pines emerged from the basement, the twins rushed past the kitchen without looking there, then there was Stan, then came the newest arrival. Dressed in a brown trench coat, looking exactly like Stan, apart from the sunglasses.

"Who are you, kid?" He asked. "A cleaner or something?"

Danny blinked, "Oh, no. I'm just staying here for the summer, not that many hotels around, you know?"

Ford looked at his brother with narrowed eyes. "You turned my house into a hotel?"

"Hey, he is just an exception! The kid pays a lot."