Chapter 24: Freed from the Past

"Pass me the trifle, will you Harry?" Ginny asked Harry in the Great Hall.

"Of course, my queen." Harry jokingly responded, while sliding the glass bowl of trifle over to her.

Ginny took a scoopful as Draco plonked himself down on the seat next to her, and Hermione took the one next to Harry on the other side of the table.

"That took a while." Ginny mused. Hermione felt her cheeks turning scarlet and she shared a sly smile with Draco. "And I don't remember your hair being that messy when you left."

"Oh, you know what this bird's nest is like." Hermione answered without missing a beat.'

"Yeah. You're some kind of bird." Ginny winked, "love bird..."

"Seriously Ginny, do you have to be so cheesy?" Hermione chuckled. She felt her ribs ache as she did so. She must've visibly winced in pain, as Draco mouthed you ok? from opposite her. She nodded and smiled.

"Anyway, can you pass the trifle Harry?" Hermione asked him.

Harry laughed, "If I had a Galleon for every time..."

"You'd only have two galleons, love." Ginny replied.

"True." Harry slid it over to Hermione.

"Thanks. Say, have you guys asked al your professors for the work you missed? I've already caught up in Transfigurations, Potions and Ch-"

"Same old Granger." Draco smirked. "And no, I haven't."

"You ought to." Hermione locked eyes with the blonde and smiled. It never got old to look at his face. Suddenly, McGonagall's voice boomed across the Great Hall.

"Hello students, I would like to make an important announcement. No leaving the Hogwarts grounds until further notice. We have word from the Ministry that two dangerous persons have escaped from custody with the help of a third person. Lucius Malfoy, Ron Weasley and Lavender Brown are the persons in question. Please head back to dorm rooms or a secure classroom immediately."

Draco's ears were ringing as the atmosphere of the Great Hall became frantic and people were tripping over one another when rushing to the exit. "W-what?" It sounded as if he'd been plunged underwater. He felt Hermione's soft hand grab his and pull him out of the Great Hall.

His mind was racing at a million miles per hour, and he didn't even notice that Hermione had taken him into an empty classroom and shut the door. Hermione paced over to the window and peered out of it, pulling the curtains over. The room was bathed in darkness until Hermione lit some candles.

She sat on the floor with her back against the wall and Draco joined her. She rested her head on his broad shoulder. "We'll be okay, Draco. Don't worry." she said in that soft, half whispery voice that Draco went wild for.

"Yeah." the thing was, despite the circumstances, Draco felt safe. Safe in the embrace of someone who saw the good in him when it seemed as though everyone else in his life had given up on him. Someone who could let him be vulnerable and emotional. Someone that finally didn't see him as a deatheater. Scum of the Earth. A bad person. Someone that he could be himself in front of.

"They've got the whole Ministry hunting them down."

Draco turned to look at Hermione. The warm candle light flickered across her smooth skin and her chocolate curls seemed to glow. "Hermione, I-I,"

"Yes, Draco?"

"I love you." It felt so good to let those three words out. At first, Hermione didn't react for what seemed like an eternity to Draco, despite it being a split second.

"I love you too."

Hermione sat up on her knees and put her hands on Draco's shoulders, kissing him passionately and pushing him onto the ground so that she was on top of him. Hermione felt Draco's hands wandering underneath her shirt and kissed him harder. Like something out of a romantic film, they rolled over with elegance so that Draco was now on top and Hermione lying down. The sparks were flying.

After a long while, Hermione and Draco sat up again. "You're amazing." Draco sighed. Hermione smiled.

Suddenly, McGonagall's voice boomed across the whole school again, some what killing the mood. "I've had word from the Ministry that the three fugitives have been caught! Repeat! The fugitives have been caught. Thank you for your patience, everyone, resume with your normal afternoon."

Hermione released an exasperated laugh. "You see? What did I say? That was quick."

"You're amazing." Draco repeated as Hermione opened the curtains again, bathing the room and herself in a heavenly light. "And to think we have the Polyjuice Party to thank for this."

Hermione laughed. "I almost forgot about that."

And as she leant over and blew out the candles, it struck Draco how he'd never been happier before. He had the most beautiful girl in the world and was finally freed from his past.

And to think it was the Polyjuice Party started it all.

THE END

A/N: Thank you all so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed. Sorry about the slow updates to say the least haha, as I think I maybe published the first part nearly four years ago? I took about a two year break from Wattpad (/maybeeee forgot my login details?) which is why this has been a, ahem, lengthy process to say the least. Anyway, it baffles me as to how much support I got and am still getting on this fanfiction to this day, as I wrote the majority when I was 13 I think? I'm 16 now though (nearly 17), wow do times change. How different my life is to when I first started this in every aspect! Well, at least now I can put "completed" in the description lol! Again, thank you for all the support on this fanfiction, you're all amazing. And please, don't bother pointing out plot holes or spelling mistakes or "rushed" things because I AM WELL AWARE! 13 y/o me is wild. Love you all, hope you are all staying safe in these unprecedented times <3

-hermionemintgreen