The Gilded Beginning

When I was still a child, my mother would tell me a bedside story of a turtle lion so big it held the world on it's back.

"But mom, doesn't that hurt the turtle?"

My younger twin's impatience was too strong for her to wait for our mom's next words. Mom laughed her gentle laugh before stroking Azula and mine's cheeks.

"No dear, the turtle loves us so much he holds the world like a stage for us to dance on."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The energetic pounding in my veins and hot high of firebending had begun to simmer down as the warm, orange dusk of the Fire Nation capital sky eased my breathing and heartbeat. A stone faced black haired servant had brought me an ornate glass of cooled floral water and I drank it as I settled into observing the training grounds and surrounding gardens as the sun gilded gold over them.

I had ordered a clearing to be made within the gardens here specifically for this reason- so I could spend the end of my day with the sun, relaxing and enjoying the last rays of light. The sun to a firebender was invaluable- the very thing that made our hearts beat with fire. It was only right to honor it for the blessing it had given me. My one true love, firebending.

Most days I spent doing the same things:  wake up at dawn for breathing and my first set of training, a light breakfast followed by trailing along with my father to war meetings, my late afternoon training session, and finally this- peace.

My mind flitted back to the war meetings today. Father never let any of my other siblings in, not my younger twin Azula, and certainly not our un-talented older brother Zuko. But the war meetings were not something I particularly enjoyed. Sitting there listening to old men debate where we should send our men to die, and to kill. Although I am young, my father thinks that it is important that I learn these things so I may grow into a strong and worthy leader.

I smile as I think of my future- although a pang hits my heart when I remember who won't be there to see me grow. Mom. It had been three years since she had left.

My smile is soon replaced by a frown as I feel the warmth of the sun begin to go down. With my heart aching for mom and the twilight breeze starting, I signal for the servant to prepare for us to leave.

Father never lets me out of their sight.

We make our journey through the gardens, passed the turtle-duck pond, and finally to my chamber in the inner palace. There, my day servant hand me off to the ladies of the palace, who with their long red cloaks begin their nighttime routine of silently washing and clothing me for sleep.

I wonder what it would be like to be alone. Truly alone. No one watching you. No one scheming behind your back. The disappearance of mom three years ago had shown me the true nature of the court and what must be done to succeed here.

I shuttered thinking about her again. Some days were better than others and it seemed like tonight would be one where I lie and think of her. She was like the sun in my life and I had been trying to piece myself back together since she left. Since that dreaded day that father became Firelord.

A sudden anger flashed through me- if not for my idiot brother Zuko, mom would still be here! I gripped at my sheets as I recall that fateful night, what Azula and I saw and heard. The deal father made with grandfather, and who ended up paying the price.