"1"

The sunlight sqeezed through my shades in my window, exposing me to the morning light. I groaned as it lightly hit my eye lids. I hate mornings. They remind me that I have to get up early for training every other day basically. Part of our pack's regimen is to only rest one day in between working out. And being my father's only child and heir, I have to take it more seriously than any other teenager in the pack.

Everyone in the pack is great. Werewolves tend to shift at different ages. It all depends on your pack and your training set. In my pack, the usual age for a person to shift for the first time is around 12 years old. That's honestly not bad at all. There is a reason why we are the second best pack in the nation.

The first? The White Moon pack. They live pretty close by to our pack too. Their Alpha happens to be not only super strong, but fairly young too. My father says that he's pretty cold to most. But, I don't like to judge books by their covers. You never really know a person until you talk to them.

Its summer so I won't have to worry about classes until I start my freshman year at Wakeforest this upcoming fall. I'm turning eighteen in two days. All the alpha's in the area are coming to watch the ceremony of the rank passing.

Sorry, let me explain quickly. My name is Marlee Arctic. I'm the only child and daughter of Alpha Walter Arctic of the Lunar Howlers pack. Our pack is the second strongest in the entire nation. As daughter of the alpha, I am the one to take the role of alpha in our pack. My dad never had any other children so I must be the one to take it. Everyone in my pack seems to be cool with it. That's what really makes me happy. I want people to know that they are safe with me as a leader. Too bad I'll be gone for most of the day starting in August.

Anyway, it'll be weird to be alpha female. I mean, if I find my mate, what will that make him. Cause no offense, but he ain't becoming alpha. I've worked my butt off for this position. Originally, my father wanted to just give the position to the Beta's son. But finally, I convinced him that I would be a great alpha.

Trevor Gally is going to be my beta. He's been my best friend my entire life. Him and I would chase each other around the front of the pack house back when we were like 6 or 7. We actually shifted within a week of each other's shifting. So, when I say we grew up together, we grew up together.

My delta or third in command is gonna be Henry Winston. Henry has always been pretty quiet at school. But you need to see that boy run in wolf form. He's probably one of the fastest people I've ever seen. His wolf and him are in sync when they run. Its truely an amazing thing.

Now that you're caught up with my life and the role I play in my pack, I can move on with my morning. I drag myself out of bed and to the bathroom. I brush my teeth, hair and use the toliet briefly. After that, I walk out of my bathroom and into my closet. I pick out a very simple outfit for today. All I was doing was relaxing today. Maybe I would head out for a quick run, but not too long. Alpha's are arriving today so they can also discuss rouge attacks that have been popping up everywhere lately.

I head downstairs to only be met by Trevor. Trevor is pretty cute, I'm not gonna lie. But, he happens to be a giant player. At some point, I almost kissed him, but I decided not to. I didn't want to ruin our friendship or my first kiss. I want that to be with my actual mate. Trevor was eating eggs and bacon while watching Deal or No Deal on tv.

"Morning Marlee." he said to me.

"Good morning Trevor. How is everything going?" I asked him.

"Pretty well. Its hard to believe that in two days, you'll be our alpha. And three weeks from now, I'll be your offical beta. It feels like only yesterday we were chasing each other down." he replied.