nineteen

The barbecue party went really well, at some point I remember dancing with Hale but I was so exhausted by the end and with wine in my system, the party was a little blur. But I remember James, the way his eyes followed me all night and the time he kissed my hair. Mark picked us up since James had a few beers and didn't want to take a risk driving.

As I drink milk on the Monday morning while sitting on the bar stool in the kitchen counter, I can't help the smile on my face when I realise how better things have been between James and I. He hasn't snapped at me in what seems like forever.

"Mrs. George, do you have kids?" I ask as she seems to be chopping vegetables.

She smiles at me, "Yes, my dear. An eleven year daughter, just as beautiful as you."

"I would love to meet her sometime." I tell her before pulling out my pill pack from the bag and setting it in front of me just so I don't forget to have it after breakfast.

James enters the kitchen in his dark gray suit, moving to the refrigerator as he pulls out a cold water bottle. He doesn't say a word to me, not even good morning which makes me scowl as I stare at him.

Maybe I spoke too soon about the things being good. I hadn't seen him yesterday at all apart from the dinner where we barely exchanged a couple of words but at least he acknowledged my presence last night.

He turns around, setting a glass on the island as he scrolls through his phone and I scold myself to look away because frowning at him won't make me feel better. Every time he gives me a cold shoulder, there's this deep sinking feeling which sets in my stomach that I cannot seem to shake.

I sigh, ignoring him just as he ignored me and pull out a tablet before having it. When I put the glass of water down, I feel his gaze on me, scowling at me, actually.

"Are you sick?" He asks, pointing at the tablet pack and I wonder if there's a way to disappear right this moment.

"Nope." I say as I slide off the stool and put the pack in my bag before turning to wash the dishes I just used.

"What's the pill for?" He asks, crossing his arms across his chest, having his full attention.

This is an awkward conversation as it is but with Mrs. George's presence it just makes things more embarrassing as I turn around to stare at James.

"It's birth control pill." I tell him and his eyes widen a little, clearly surprised as he continues to stare at me.

"Why?" His eyebrows frown so deep that it looks painful.

Mrs. George must sense the tension because she silently leaves the kitchen and I stare at James. "Why what?"

He opens his mouth to further explain his question because I really don't understand what he's trying to ask. "Never mind." He runs a hand through his hair before picking up his phone from the island and leaving the kitchen.

I let out a sigh of relief as he leaves but it still doesn't ease the tension in my shoulders. I pick up my bag and make my way out in the driveway. The sedan I drive is blocked by James's car who's on the phone in the front yard.

His ignorance just pisses me off more as I go sit in my car and wait for him to finish his phone call but when it's been ten minutes and he doesn't budge from his place, his back to me, I honk the horn and he turns around, his eyes narrowing as he notices it's me.

He continues to speak something in his phone as he turns to walk to his car. He backs up in the driveway, giving me enough space to let my car out and without giving any gesture, I drive away.