one

My father's arm is linked with mine as the music starts playing, which is our cue. I am about to live down the dream of every girl - the perfect wedding. My gaze looms over to my dad and he gives me a grin, receiving a nod in return as we begin to walk.

I could have chosen my brother to walk me down the aisle too, but then I wanted someone to stare at me in awe as I did so. He does look in an awe of me as he stands beside my to-be husband as one of his best man.

James takes my hand slightly as we stand to face each other. The church priest starts quoting the bible and the vows of the wedding. We didn't write them on our own, we don't believe in them. That's the decision we came to.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," he announces.  "You may kiss the bride." The priest finishes.

My husband leans in close to me and I feel his lips brush against mine before they finally rest on the side of my mouth. It lasts one second. And then, he parts away. I sigh at that but move to look at my brother who gives me a charming smile and that just makes up for the most of it.

"The reception is in the back yard, the food is ready to be served." James' father, Carrack announces later and the guests start shuffling out of the hall.

I remember the first day I met James Peter Clark. He, undoubtedly, was the most handsome man I have ever laid eyes on but it put me in dilemma when I returned back from college and found the Clark family sitting in the front lawn of my house with my parents, having a chit chat.

My father is a business man, he often has casual meetings but I was alarmed as soon as everyone shut up when I made my presence known. I looked at the way James' step sister, Chloe saw me. She was anticipating my every move, creeping me to the core but then our parents suggested that James and I should probably take a round of our house and I should show him around.

They were setting us up. I was too naive to think through it, and it kind of pissed me off when he didn't talk much. But that was because he knew what I didn't. We were going to be married.

"It's really hot in here." He said. Those were the first words James ever said to me.

I laugh at the memory and look at him and then down to our interlinked hands as he holds my tiny ones firmly in his big ones. He doesn't glance at me as we make our way out of the church, people congratulating us all the while. When we reach the back yard, he lets go of my hand and I am immediately engulfed into a big hug, making me stumble a little at the sudden contact.

"Oh, you deserve all the happiness in the world sweetheart." My mother gushes in my ear and then parts away. She looks at both of us, "Such a lovely couple." She says, a huge smile on her face.

I resist the urge to scoff as my eyes brim with unshed tears since days. We are far from a lovely couple but when I look at James, he's passing my mother a small smile, as if he's very grateful for her comment. She looks between us before fixing her gaze at him.

"Take good care of my daughter, please." She tells him and he nods, giving her an assuring smile.

"You have nothing to worry about, Ma'am." He says and my mother frowns.

"Oh, call me Beth. I am your mother in law now." She brushes him off and I cringe at her words.

She gets distracted by the guests and James lets out a loud sigh by my side before leading me to a group of people. They are all in expensive suits that you recognise just by looking at them, immediately making me realize that they must be either his colleagues or important ones from the business.

"Mr. Lucas, I would like to officially introduce you to my wife," James says, drawing the attention of the group.

One of the middle aged man looks at me with more concentration than anyone else before taking my hand and placing a kiss on my knuckles, making me cringe inwardly as I plaster a fake smile on my face.