Nightmare

Julian woke up in cold sweat, the nightmare he had still fresh in his mind.

Emma.

His parabatai slipped into his mind and he jumped off his bed and raced to her room.

He jerked open the door.

'Wow Jules, you scared me..', Emma joked playfully. She was sitting on her bed, legs crossed when he rushed in.

After noticing his panic-stricken face, her smile dropped.

'What's the matter? Are you oka..'

Before Emma could finish her sentence, he crashed into her, hugging her firmly.

'Nightmare?', Emma guessed, while gently stroking his back.

Julian nodded slightly, kneeling on her bed, his chin on her shoulder.

'Hey, it's okay..', Emma whispered into his ear, feeling his rapid heartbeat.

Emma's own heart started racing when she realised their position. They were so close. Yet so far away.

Emma had a crush on her parabati ever since she was twelve, and her feelings got awfully strong now that she is seventeen.

They continued to embrace each other for a minute or so before she felt Julian's finger on her arm, writing in their secret language.

Her stomach flipped as she felt his touch.

I'm sorry for running in without knocking.

Emma smiled, Julian has always been the considerate one.

Without knowing what she was doing, Emma reached for Julian's hair and ruffled it.

Julian moved away quickly as if he was electrocuted and looked at her in slight confusion.

Emma always liked his soft dark brown curls, she enjoyed playing with it all the time. She remembered braiding it once when Julian's hair was getting too long without a haircut. But this somehow feels different. Intimate even.

Emma sucked in a breath as she looked at his soft pink lips for a second, before realising what she had done and averting her eyes, hoping Julian did not spot it.

'I.. I should go..', Julian said, after a moment of silence. Emma bit her lip and forced herself to look at him straight in his eyes.

To her amusement, he looked away immediately when she looked at him, a light blush on his cheeks.

He started fiddling with her bedsheet a little as she continued to look at him and his beautiful features.

What would it feel like to kiss those lips?

She shook her thoughts away and took his hand. He turned to look at her and she whispered, so soft that he almost didn't catch it, 'stay.'

Julian and emma used to sleep with each other often when they were younger, but now that they were both older, they somehow don't do it anymore.

Julian's eyes softened and he stared at her. Emma almost felt like he just looked through her soul and every bit of her existence.

'Okay.'