nine

*You're in for a wild ride this chapter... let me know how you're enjoying this story! Would love to see your thoughts and theories! -Laura*

The sun had started to set, and we were all still hanging out by the pool. After I had a few drinks in me, it became a lot easier to have fun with Maddie's friends. I continued to avoid Rafe, but other than that it had been a fun day.

I was currently in a splash war with Topper and Maddie while everyone else was refilling their drinks. We had music blasting from the speakers, and I was thankful my parents had found a house without neighbors close by to complain about noise. Maddie and Topper swam closer to me, closing in.

"I surrender," I screamed as they splashed me from both sides.

They high fived, moving to give me space. I swam to the edge of the pool, getting out as they continued to laugh. I walked over to the table, pouring myself another drink. I heard a car engine from around front, quickly hiding the alcohol. If my parents were home, I wouldn't want them to see the huge bottle we had gone through in one day.

As I set my cup down, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, picking me up. I looked down and saw it was Rafe and tried to get out of his grip.

"Rafe, put me down," I screamed.

"No thanks," he said, laughing.

I continued hitting him, trying to get out of his grasp. His grip on me tightened, making my anxiety start to spike. Being held like this by Rafe made me feel like I was about to die. I didn't trust anything he did ever since he threatened me at dinner.

"Rafe, please just put me down," I begged.

"Okay," he said, throwing me in the water.

As I resurfaced, I saw everyone looking towards the side of the house. I turned and saw JJ, Kie, and Pope standing there. Before I was even able to say anything, JJ spoke.

"Sierra, what the fuck," he screamed.

I flinched at his voice, never hearing him so angry before. I'd heard JJ pissed off, but never so angry that he would scream. His hands were clenched in fists, and I could see the anger in his eyes from here. I got out of the pool and walked over to them, but they all backed away.

"Clearly you're having such a hard time. I thought you couldn't do anything today," Kie said.

"So much for wanting nothing to do with Rafe. Pretty sure getting drunk with a bunch of kooks doesn't mean you're having a bad time," Pope said.

"Can we please just go inside and talk about this, without other ears around," I said.

"Cut the bullshit, Sierra. I hope you had a great day with your people. We're leaving," JJ said.

"JJ, please, stop," I pleaded, grabbing his arm.

He ripped his arm out of my grip, turning to look me in the eyes. There was a fiery anger behind his eyes that scared me.

"Save it, Sierra. I thought I could trust you, but you clearly were just waiting for the right moment to cut us loose. You're a liar. Kook princess really does fit you," he said, a tear slipping from his eye.

The three of them walked off, leaving me stunned. Maddie ran over to me, wrapping her arms around me as I started to cry. I don't understand why they didn't even give me a chance to explain what was going on.

"Hey guys, I think you should probably go," Maddie said, leading me inside.

One I was back up in my room, Maddie went downstairs to clean everything up outside. I changed out of my bathing suit into JJ's t-shirt and climbed into bed. My hair fell in my face, getting stuck in the tears streaming down my cheeks.