Your Drink

Alec wasn't quite sure what had made him ask, but he couldn't keep his mind on work after that. And what did 'of course' even mean in that context? Had Magnus been thinking the same thing or just too stunned by Alec's request to say something else? Was Magnus just humoring Alec to save himself embarrassment at work?

Even so Alec was glad he'd asked. With everything Ragnor had said, plus Jace and Clary, Alec just had to know if there was anything real in this, one way or the other.

But no time for mulling over one's past actions, not when there were customers yelling at him. Alec tried to keep everyone's order straight as he kept working. It was strange, but his big emotionally complicated table was actually his easiest order table apart from Camille's stupid Cosmopolitan and even that, well he'd heard worse. Like that one lady last week who'd wanted so many dried berries in her drink that it was more solid than liquid or the guy who'd order his burger with literally everything on the side. Alec had served a bun with meat, veggies and sauces in little dishes. There was nothing quite like customer service to really illustrate how strange humans were.

Collecting Camille's last drink, since her party had already paid the bill, Alec headed back to their room. Upon entering it however, he froze.

"Oh my god, Alec!" Magnus's voice exclaimed as he forced his way out of the corner of the room, his eyes fixed on Alec. "This isn't, I mean-" He seemed a bit lost for words.

Camille just looked thoughtful, glancing from one of them to the other. Then she spotted her drink and held out her hand to accept it, but Alec had another idea.

As she approached, Alec flicked his wrist and the red liquid went flying right into Camille's face.

"My eyes!" she shrieked. "It's burning my eyes."

"Oh I'm so sorry about that," Alec said with mock horror. "Must have slipped right out of my hand.

"You did that on purpose," Camille accused like the hiss of a snake.

"Yes I did," Alec replied calmly. "But you did 'that' on purpose." He pointed to Magnus.

"What me and your fake boyfriend do when you aren't around isn't your business," Camille shot back, as she tried to get her dress clean using whatever unused napkins were left on the table.

"Fake boyfriend's still better than ex-boyfriend," Alec yelled back at her.

"Just you wait," Camille snapped, maliciously to Magnus. "I'm going to tell everyone you brought a fake date to the party because no real people could ever love you!"

And with that she stormed out of the room with all the noise and fury of a stampeding bull.

It took Alec a moment to catch his breath. All the while Magnus was staring at him.

"Always gotta have the last word doesn't she?" Alec remarked, suddenly nervous.

"You're magnificent," Magnus exclaimed. "How did you know, I mean why weren't you yelling at me?"

"You were pressed into the corner," Alec observed, his nerves all vanishing as he took in the expression on Magnus's face. "Body language was all wrong for you to be the one who initiated. Besides she seems more the type to make a play like that." He paused for a moment. "Do you think she'll tell my boss that I throw a drink in her face?"

"I think you're safe," Magnus smiled. "She won't want anyone to know about that part."

"I'm sorry I was such a shitty fake date tonight," Alec sighed. "She just made me so angry, but now she's gonna tell everyone at your work and it will all have been for nothing."