MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Depuis le début

"Natalia." Elijah's voice sounded through the phone and her heart skipped a beat. "Is this a bad moment?"

"No!" She exclaimed quickly before shaking her head and laughing nervously. "I mean, no. I'm helping Caroline with the decoration for Miss Mystic Falls pageant." She explained and he hummed. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" She asked as she started walking slowly to the entrance of the house.

"I wanted to see how you were doing and how you were handling Elena's situation."

"As well as I can. Except, Jeremy is now one of the Five and your brother is doing everything he can to find a cure." By the sharp intake of breath, Nat figured her knew about the cure. "Why didn't any of you mention the existence of it?"

"The Five were extinct and so was the map." He said simply. "You need to be very careful with this, Natalia."

"I will." She assured him. "How are you, anyways?"

"I should be asking you that. How is Niklaus behaving?" He asked her and she smiled.

"You'll be glad to know that we patched things up."

"Oh, so you two..." He trailed off quietly.

"No." She said quickly. "We agreed to stay friends."

"Oh."

"Yep, we're not it for each other. I think we're both happier this way, you know? He's after Caroline, which good for him, but I don't think she'll give in." She said laughing.

"And you? Anyone... special in your life?" He asked shyly and she smiled. She stopped walking a few feet away from Caroline and she looked at her questioningly, wanting to know why she wasn't working.

"Not really. I, uh... I think my heart already belongs to a certain vampire." She said quietly, her heart beating out of her chest at her admission. "An Original one." She added and he got quiet all of a sudden.

"Does it? Kol will be thrilled, I'm sure." He teased her and she laughed loudly, Caroline looking at her confused.

"Very funny." She told him over the phone. "I mean it, Elijah. But, and there is a but, I need some time. After this whole thing with the cure is over and I graduate, Kol and I will be travelling for the summer."

"Hm."

"But after that, I think you still have a promise to keep." She reminded him.

"Right, of course. I never back down on my word."

"I'll hold you to that." She told him. "Now, I'm gonna have to leave you, because Caroline here is about to murder for not working on the decoration."

"Goodbye, Natalia." He said before hanging up. Nat put her phone on her pocket and looked up at Caroline, who was staring at her with raised eyebrows and arms crossed.

"I'm glad you found time to flirt over the phone instead of working." Nat rolled her eyes and smiled as three girls walked towards them with flower arrangements. "Woah, woah, woah, stop, stop!" Caroline said loudly and the girls came to a halt. "Those flowers go in the back as indicated by the floral chart that you guys had plenty of time to memorize." The girls nodded nervously and turned around, walking off quickly. "Yeah, thank you." Caroline said before looking down at her clipboard on her hands.

"Now, how did I know I'd find you at the helm of this ship?" Klaus' voice startled Nat and she turned to see the hybrid staring at her blonde friend with a smile on his face. Caroline looked at him and then back at her clipboard.

"Go away, I'm busy."

"I was wondering what time I should pick you up tomorrow." He said and Caroline looked at him.