Chapter 19: Everything is Great!

• Dedicated to Danielle DeMarco

A/N:  How did you guys like that twist?  I know that's not how The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner ends, but I wanted to have Bree live.  Also, if anyone would like to friend me on facebook, the account I'm using for my fan-fiction stories is under the email address lilystwilightfanfiction@yahoo.com.  Thank you for reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wasn't sure where we'd head, but I knew we would go north.  Maybe we would to Vancouver.  At least we would be far enough away from the others to formulate a plan.  At first, Bree and I walked in silence.  We stayed close to the shade of the trees surrounding us.  We didn't want to chance running into a human now that we sparkled.  That thought was amusing to me.  Why did we have to sparkle?  What are we, Disco Barbie and Ken?  Of all the "cool" things we have done as vampires, this was the lamest trait we have acquired.  At least it was cool that we could travel in the daylight.  It made things much easier.  I refect back on the conversation I had with Sidney Lynn.  Fred, whoever told you that is wrong. Vampires are able to be in the sun. The worst it does is reflect the light off your skin, and that's in direct sunlight. On a cloudy day, you're able to do normal every day activities, just like a human.  I remember thinking that she had to have been crazy.  Thinking of that conversation, I decide to tell Bree some of what I know.

"Bree, one night while I was hunting, I met someone named Sidney Lynn.  She knew about vampires.  She had told me that we could be out in the daylight.  I didn't completely believe her, but I trusted her story more than I ever did Riley's.  In fact, that reminds me."  I stop to look in my bag.  I am glad I managed to keep my bag with me this entire time.  Aha!  I pulled out my notebook and flipped to the last page that had writing.  It's still there!  Not like it would have disappeared magically, but you never know. 

"Fred, what is it?  Is everything ok?"  Bree asked me hastily.  I looked at her, gave her the biggest smile I could, and replied, "Everything is great!  I think I might have the beginnings of a solid plan for us.  Sidney Lynn gave me her phone number.  She told me to contact her if I'm ever in the Vancouver area.  I think we should.  She would be able to tell us a little more about ourselves, minus the lies Riley fed us."

Bree's eyes lit up.  From that moment, I knew what our current plan was. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we traveled to Vancouver, we did very little talking.  She broke the silence.  "Fred, I'm starting to get hungry.  I think we need to feed soon.  Is it possible that we could find an occupied cabin soon?"  After she said that, it reminded me that I had yet to tell her about my encounter with Edward.  I stopped walking, looked at her, and said, "We don't need to feed from humans.  Shortly after I met Sidney Lynn, I ran across someone else.  His name is Edward.  He feeds off of wildlife.  So does the rest of his family."  I told her about how I was able to smell his scent on the garment Riley passed around.  "I'm more than certain that that is where the others are going.  Everything has fit the discription."  I solemnly explained.

Her jaw dropped.  "So that means your friends are about to die?" She asked me.  I thought about it for a few minutes before replying, "No.  Edward is much stronger.  Riley was definitely taking them on a suicide mission.  Let's not focus on them, though.  Let's find some deer.  I'll show you how to hunt without killing humans."  After I asked her, I could literally see Bree salivating.  "Thank you! I am famished! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I showed her how to feed off of wildlife, bears mainly, we continued to travel towards Vancouver.  I asked her about her friend, Diego.  "That night that we came back after being gone all day, we knew something was up with Riley.  Diego and I had stayed in a cave during the day.  We didn't have time to get back to the house before sunrise."  The sun was setting as Bree reflected on that event, "Diego decided he wanted to experiment.  He found a hole in the ceiling of the cave.  He dug to make it wider.  I was so frightened.  I thought he was going to kill us both.  Suddenly, his arm lit up, just like we all did when Riley brought us out into the sun earlier.  Since then, I've known Riley was up to something.  I was mainly sitting back until that time came."

She and I sat on a couple of boulders as the sun set.  Neither of us said a word for a little while.  Once the sun had disappeared completely, I said, "We should probably continue.  Now that the sun's down, we'll have less chance being noticed.  Let's try to get to Vancouver before sunrise."