Chapter 19, Part 1-1

Start from the beginning

"Did I hear someone say you were charming, Dixon?" Basha asked. She stood near him, her hand on his shoulder, looking down at him. She smiled, though Mara could see it was an odd smile. It was sad, somehow.

"Pure flights of fantasy, I'm sure," he said.

Mara groaned. "But don't you know, Basha? He has the power of charm. Or so he says."

Basha's eyes held Dixon's. Once again, there was a touch of sadness in her expression.

He turned away.

"Well, all right then," Basha said. She turned to Mara. "I want to officially introduce myself and to thank you. I can't say how much I appreciate what you did to reunite Therese and me."

Mara waved away her words. "It was nothing."

"Are you feeling better?"

"I'm fine. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm just tired, I guess."

"That'll teach you to go on a magic binge," Dixon said.

"See what I mean, Basha? All charm, this one." Mara closed her eyes. A long moment passed. Then she looked out again. She blinked repeatedly, trying to gather her thoughts. "What are you talking about, Dixon?"

"You really need to use more care with your magic," he chided, still smiling.

"What do you mean?"

"It has a price. You could have killed yourself with all that magic. Traveling—with others. Healing. What were you thinking?"

He looks worried—like he cares. The thought startled her. She shrugged. "Just doing what I had to do."

"Yes, the others told me all about the oracle while you were out," he said. "I think you're right—about the reference to the girls as 'the seventh seventh and she who is but is not.' I'd never thought about it before. But, dear Good One, we thought you'd never awaken again."

She tried to shake off her lethargy. "How long was I out?"

Basha squatted down. Holding an apple, she took a bite.

Mara watched her closely. Her eyes narrowed. "Where'd you get that?"

Basha looked down at her apple, then pointed toward a bucket near where the horses stood. "Over there," she said. "Want one?"

Mara pulled herself up on one elbow. Without further thought, she reached forward and—

An apple flew to her hand. "Ah!" she exclaimed when she realized what she'd done. "What just happened?"

Dixon frowned. "Careful, Mara. You need to regain your strength. This is no time for magic."

"Sorry," she said, looking chagrined, "I wasn't thinking. Besides, I didn't know I could do that."

"Yes, well take it from one who knows," Basha said. "You don't want to make that a habit."

"What do you mean?"

"The ability to move things. It can be . . . addicting."

"She would know," Dixon said.

Mara's eyes flashed from him to Basha. "What?"

Basha tipped her head, her lips pursed. "It's part of my attendant magic, as well. I went through a spell—when I first discovered the power—of using it a bit too much."

"Too much?"

"Yes." Basha's expression turned serious. "It can make you lazy—and lazy means weak. Anyway, it's a good power to have, and you should practice it some. Just don't make it a habit."

"Hmmm. Here, help me up."

Dixon offered his arm. "Not too fast now. You're just coming off a . . . binge, and you've already started back into the magic. Take your time."

"That's right," Basha said. "You need to regain your strength. You've been out since you healed Dixon. That was . . . Well, you were out all of yesterday and all of last night and it's nearly midday now."

Mara took a bite of the apple. It was fresh and juicy. The sweet fruity smell filled her senses. "Mmmm. Good. I'm hungry." She stopped chewing. "You mean I slept all of yesterday?"

Basha nodded.

"And it's midday now?"

"Nearly, yes."

"I suppose we should be on our way." Mara tried to get up, but still weak, dropped back down.

Jules approached. "It's still raining. I think we should wait to see what tomorrow brings."

"And just wait around here? Doing nothing? Getting nowhere?"

"It would give us all a good chance to get fully rested. Dixon still isn't at his best," Basha said.

"Hey, hey, hey!" he responded in mock disagreement.

Mara shushed him. Her head hurt. "I suppose I could use some more rest. I feel like I've been drugged." She took another bite of her apple. Her strength was returning, little by little. "Oh, what's wrong with me?" she suddenly cried. "How are the girls?"

"They're both well," Nina said as she drew near. "We're all well, thanks to you. But we needed to wake you, to make sure that you were all right. You ran a fever most of yesterday and last night. We were very worried for you."

"Thanks, Nina."

"Samuel found a big old trough out back. We all helped drag it in and have taken turns bathing. I think one would do you good."

"Baths? How'd you get enough water for baths?"

"A nearby spring."

"And you got it warm enough?"

"You can thank Basha and Dixon for that," Therese said neared.

Mara looked at Basha. "Attendant magic?"

"Comes in very handy."

"Sounds good. But right now—I just want to eat."

Her companions laughed. It was the sound of a great release.

"So is this all I get? A lousy apple?"

Still chuckling, Dixon went to the hearth, then returned with a plate of hot roasted hare and hash-browned potatoes.

With Basha's assistance, Mara sat up. She ate. Twice, she asked for more. Twice, Dixon refilled her plate.

"Gosh, Dixon, if you're any nicer to me, I might start believing those rumors you keep spreading about yourself," she said, her voice low.

"Oh, you mean about my being so charming and all?"

She looked at him, held his gaze. He actually did seem rather charming at the moment. "Right. Anyway, you're looking well."

"Mara, truly, I can't thank you enough. I—"

She patted his hand. "Forget it."

He nodded. "So, about this oracle . . ."

"What about it?"

"Therese tells me that you thought it was telling you to go to get me."

"We all did." She swallowed a mouthful. "Look for yourself. Every page says the same thing: 'Go.'"

"Funny thing is—it doesn't say anything now."

***Thank you for taking time with Oathtaker. I sincerely appreciate your votes and welcome your comments.***

Oathtaker is an award-winner in the 2014 Readers' Favorite International Book Award contest. A completed work, it is currently available in print form at CreateSpace at createspace.com/4767727, in print and for your Kindle on Amazon (see the link) and from Barnes and Noble for your Nook.