Chapter 35

Chresanto~

"Chresanto, I'm paralyzed."

My head hurt so much I almost couldn't process his words. The cruel seriousness in his eyes made me believe him. I reached out for his hand, giving it a firm squeeze. He looked down and a tear dropped as he shook his head.

I put my hand over my mouth. I couldn't believe this is happening. It's my fault! I did this to him! If we didn't celebrate this wouldn't have happened! If I didn't get so drunk, Jacob would be up and walking!

I burst out crying and my monitor beeps faster the harder I cry.

"Chresanto. Chresanto, babe, why are you crying?" Jacob asks me, sniffling. His eyes were a blazing red from his stiff crying.

"This is all my fault," I cry out.

"What? No, it's not! Don't say that ever again. It wasn't your fault at all. It could have been anyone in that accident."

I blocked mostly everything he was saying out. I didn't care. I knew in my heart it was all on me. How is Jacob even able to sit there and tell me it's not my fault when he can't move anything? How is he still staying with me after everything I did to him.

I guess it was just love. The deepest, purest, sweetest, most amazing love I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

"Chresanto," the doctor says, "good news or bad news?"

I look at Jacob and he gives me a tiny smile, nodding. The doctor tells me what he told Jacob and my stomach somewhat settles. My hands knot together as I fidget on the hospital bed.

"When can we leave?" I ask, still holding Jacob's hand. Even if he can't feel it now, i'll never let go.

"Well, considering you had a seizure moments ago, and your pulse is not completely controlled yet, I'd say about a week," he answers.

"A week? Christ. And I had a seizure?" I ask.

"Yes. For now, we can only give you fluids, but just like Jacob here, you can have apple sauce soon." The doctor turns to Jacob, writing down something. He hands it to him, but pulling back, remembering Jacob can't take it. He gives it to me. "Jacob, we are sending you to a physical therapist. We hope it will make you better soon."

"Thank you so much," Jacob replies. "It means a lot. What will I have to do there?"

"They are going to stretch you out, try to help you walk. I'll tell you know because I like you two boys.. it's going to be hard. Everything is going to be hard. Chresanto, I'm sure you'll be sore for quite a bit. But you're going to have to help and support Jacob."

"I would do anything for Jacob, doctor. Trust me, i'll be there with him 'till the end," I say.

He lifts a paper from his clipboard and furrows his eyebrows. "Do you know a, um, Rayan Lopez?"

I frown. "Yes. Why?"

"He's dead."

"What?" Jacob and I say at the same time.

"I'm not sure if he was your friend or not, but he died of brain damage. Almost immediately. I'm sorry for your loss," the doctor apologizes.

I snort. "Yeah. Thanks."

I wanted him dead. I shouldn't be happy he's gone, but I kind of was. Does that sound bad? I don't know. I don't think so. What he did to Jacob will send him straight to Hell. Enjoy the ride, Ray.

------------

*one week in the hospital*

"We can finally leave!" I screech, pumping my arms out.