Epilogue

I leaned back in my seat and stood to exit the bustling dining hall as people laughed and traded tales.

        I didn't feel like laughing.

       Thor had gotten up a long time ago, but I knew better than to follow. He needed his space for the time being, just like I did.

        I marched out of the grand room, throwing the doors open and letting the cape of my dress flow freely behind me. I stopped in my tracks as I began to pass by an open balcony.

"Mother?" I asked.

She turned towards me, bright smile, and glittering perfect hair. "(Y/N), come. Join me."

I nodded, slipping beside her as her arm embraced my shoulders. "You're supposed to be in the healing room, Mother. Why are you out?" I asked worriedly.

She inhaled a deep breath of evening air. "I needed to feel the wind on my face, darling. It makes me feel free and peaceful. Two things I hadn't been in a long while."

I laid my head on her shoulder, and closed my eyes. "I know, Mother. You don't have to tell me. I know it all."

I felt her body tense beside mine. "I—"

"It's okay, Mother. I know now why you've always been hard on me, and that makes me happy enough. I understand that you never wanted me, and that you must hate—"

"Stop, (Y/N)." Sigrid ordered, placing her palms onto my cheeks and peering into my eyes. "You are the most beautiful, extraordinary, best thing that has ever happened to me. I couldn't be more proud of you. And I'm sorry if I pushed you too much sometimes... I just... I wanted what was best for you."

I smiled, tilting my skull until our foreheads touched. "I'm sorry, Mother. For the cause that gave you me, and that it's made you feel trapped even all these years."

"Lying to you made me feel trapped, (Y/N). I've come to peace with my past, and I've vowed never to be taken captive ever again. But now that you know, I feel light." She sighed, placing a kiss on the top of my head.

I pulled her into a hug, and snuggled my chin into the crook of her neck. "Thank you. For everything... but Laufey said something when we went to Jotunheim. He said you cursed one of the giants."

       Sigrid nodded even though I couldn't see. "I told him, your real father, after he was finished that while you grew inside me, his life would be sucked away. I promised on the Allfather and my fathers before me that by the time you were out of my womb, all his energy would leave his body and give you strength. I just.... I didn't realize that my curse would give you your powers. And definitely not to such an extreme."

        I laughed. I didn't feel dejected over my real father's death, nor would I have wanted to meet him if he were still alive. In fact, I was quite glad he was gone, after all the pain he had put my mother through.

The space around us became silent, only the faraway cheers and jives were heard from the banquet. It must've been at least ten minutes before Sigrid spoke what she had on her mind.

"How are you coping?"

It didn't take a genius to know she was referring to Loki's death. "Badly. I walk through the halls at night, and see him pass by, or stop to look at me, but every time I call his name or run after him, he's always ahead of me, untouchable. I can sometimes hear his voice, whispering things in my ear, but when I turn around, he's never there."