Season 4 Ep 2

"So, what is this, a camping trip?" I sighed, looking through Stefan's bag.

"He's starting her on animal blood." Damon scoffed, "He thinks that if she is on animal blood right away, then she'll ignore the blood lust around humans."

I shook my head, "How is she going to be able to control something that she's never experienced?"

Damon shrugged, "I don't know! That's what I said. Ask Stefan!"

"Name a vampire that hasn't killed a single human... if she kills one, she will crumble." Stefan defended.

"I don't mean to be a downer but, she might crumble by just killing an animal. Stefan, face it, she's a bit sensitive! She could lose her mind after one bite of bunny."

"It would have no comparison to what he would feel after taking a human life! How long could she handle it before turning her humanity off?" Stefan pushed.

I shrugged, "She's a vampire, Stefan. You mentioned it yourself... name one vampire who hasn't killed someone. Better yet, name one vampire that has never flipped the switch?"

"Point for Karson!" Damon smirked.

Stefan rolled his eyes, "We have to try to help her. We owe her that much."

I took a step back, "We what? I don't owe her anything. Have you ever thought that maybe if we show her it's okay to accept the blood then it might help her transition?"

"Would it have helped you?" Stefan fought back.

I shook my head. I wasn't staying around for this, it was ridiculous. They were putting all of their time and focus into this one girl. I couldn't understand it. She has tried to get herself killed over and over again, and now that she is the one thing she never wanted to be... we're expected to help her through that as well.

***

"You were good with Elena today. Stopping her from eating April was pretty badass." I smirked as I took a seat beside Caroline.

She nodded, "She needed to learn somehow. We have all been there so we should help each other right?"

I sighed, "Well... when you put it that way then I owe Stefan an apology."

"What do you mean?"

"He was kind of a dick today." Stefan stated, joining us at the table.

"I was very Damon like today." I sighed, turning to Stefan, "I didn't get it... before. But, if I could have protected someone from the same things you're trying to protect Elena from... I would do whatever I could." I finished, making eye contact with Caroline.

"You're as bad as Damon is with apologies, you know that?" Stefan laughed.

I smirked, "I'll work on it."

We exchanged smiles and shared a quick hug just as the rest of the group arrived. Even Damon showed up. Stefan thought it was a wise idea to take a moment to remember the ones we have lost ever since things started to go downhill. Obviously, Damon disagreed and felt we had more important things to focus on instead of lighting lanterns. He ended up leaving before it even started.

"This is for my uncle Zack. My friend Lexi. For Alaric." Stefan sighed, lighting his lantern.

Matt went next as he lit his in honor of Vicki. Caroline lit her in honor of her father, and Tyler's. Jeremy listed the most people; his parents, Jenna, Alaric, Vicki, and Anna. Bonnie was hesitant but she eventually gave in and lit one in honor of her grandmother. Elena went last. She was listing everyone that everyone else had said, but ended with saying herself. I was handed the lighter last.

I took a breath, "This is for all of us. Even though some are human, I know that there was a time that we lost a part of ourselves along the way. So, this is for us. Humans. Vampires. Werewolves. Witches. This is for us."

We all exchanged smiles and looks before releasing the lanterns and watching them lift into the hair. I felt fingers intertwine with mine and I looked over to see Caroline standing next to me. I sighed and gave her a comforting squeeze and took Bonnie under my arm so we all could soak in the moment together.

For what it was worth, it made me feel better. I know it didn't fix anything but I know it would help us emotionally. We would never forget those that we lost but at least we were able to pause what we were going through in order to recognize that we had lost people. All of us have lost someone along this journey.

If only we were done losing people.