Midwinter's Festival Pt.3

Start from the beginning

The Midwinter Party for commoners and nobility differed greatly. While the nobility would throw large parties with the neighboring lords or if they were able, the royal family, the parties for commoners were much closer. Often being just communities or family parties. The main thing they shared in common was music, dancing, gift giving, and a whole lot of eating and drinking. It was a joyful event to say the least. The party was always held on the last Friday of the month long holiday, ending everything on a high note I suppose.

When the scenery began to change from homes and shops to a long winding trail, I knew we were getting closer and closer to the Dubannes estate. With deft movements I rid my eyes of any crust, my mouth of any possible dry drool, and fixed my uniform. Although the estate is quite lax, there are still expectations due to the noble blood living there.

"Young Miss, we've arrived back at the estate." The voice of the coachman was the true testament of our homecoming. I quickly fixed up Ophelia's outfit as well, adjusting her coat just as the door was opened by a footman and Ophelia was gently helped from the carriage, I following quickly after.

It was great to be home.

What wasn't great was being put to work almost immediately after arriving home. That was the life of a servant though. After Ophelia was welcomed home by her parents, the servants in bowing positions around the entrance. I easily found mother as there aren't many purple haired women among the Dubannes staff. However, I had no time to go greet her as after Ophelia and her parents went back inside the hustle and bustle of servant life started up again.

Putting luggage back into Ophelia's room, cleaning, preparing lunch and then dinner, there was no room for rest or recreation. It was nice to be back to the usual schedule of home rather than the schedule of the academy. I'm sure if anyone else had reincarnated in my place, they'd be beyond annoyed with such a schedule but having something to busy myself with was a blessing.

As night slowly descended upon the residence, I arrived back in the servant's quarters after putting Ophelia to sleep again. Per usual, the servant's quarters was filled with candlelight and chatter.

"There she is! Ava, get over here and give me a hug!" The familiar voice of the head cook, Ms. Rhea, was one of many that greeted me. I was her favorite vegetable scrubber. I soon found myself in a warm hug that enveloped my nose in the scent of food.

"Hello, Ms. Rhea. It's good to see you well. Has your back been troubling you?"

"Only as much as I'll let it! Oh look at you, all big and pretty! Martha's been talking non-stop about seeing you at home!"

"Is that so?"

Ms. Rhea had always been a loud soul. It was required to hear above all the pots and pans and sizzling of the kitchen. I was quick to leave her and get closer and closer to the room I once shared with my mother, Isadora, and May.

When I came to the door, I could hear the muffled voices and had to take a deep breath before pushing it open. The talking came to an abrupt before a squeal of joy came from May, looking just as cheerful as I remember.

"Ava!"

If I weren't well prepared for it, May's tackle-like hug would have left me on the floor in pain. I was able to keep myself upright and return her hug.

"It's nice to see you too, Aunt May."

May was removed by Isadora who sighed, her resting face looking unchanged from it's usual indifference but her eyes sparked with a bit of joy.

"It's good to see you again."

I gave her a nod and a smile, peeking behind her only to be surprised at the lack of mother in the room. I looked around the room curiously before looking at the two women with my head tilted.

"Where's mother?" I questioned, seeing all of her belongings but no sight of her. So what if a girl wanted to see and hear her mother after being away for months? I have no shame about such things.

"I believe she got held back by Lady Ysabelle. She should be here soon." Isadora answered, forcing May to sit back down on her bed before she jumped on me again. May still continued to bounce on the mattress, full of energy. I suppose I have no choice but to wait for mother to arrive. That left some time for me to put away my belongings at least.

Conversing with Isadora and May was nice to do once again as I put away my things, putting me back into my good mood. It still didn't feel as good as it would to talk to mother, but as she's busy it can't be helped. Our latest topic on the maids I had met at the academy was cut short by the reopening of the room door to reveal the face and features that were still quite fresh in my mind.

Wavy purple hair, pale skin, blue eyes, and a tired smile. I was up from my sitting before anyone could say anything and enveloped myself in the warmth. In the scent I'd always come to associate with home.

Mother stumbled for a moment before regaining her balance, returning my hug with a soft chuckle.

"Welcome back, Ava."

It's nice to be home.

[ VRP Theatre ]

Ava: Will you be alright while I'm gone, mother?

Martha: Of course I will. I'm more grown up than you think.

Martha: *Can't sleep because she doesn't know how Ava's doing*