ix. lola, cherry cola

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r n i n e . . .

As Lola's eyes flickered over to the pool table and dart board, a grin rose to her lips. In high school, she had never excelled in the physical sports, such as football and netball, but when it came to precision and delicacy, like darts and pool, she was almost masterful in her ability.

"Are you challenging me, Turner?"

Smirking, Alex crossed his arms over his chest. "Worried, love?"

"The only thing I'd be worried about if I were you, is the sheer humiliation you'll feel when I crush you."

Alex brushed a hand through his gelled hair, then turned it, outstretched towards Lola. "Let's make a bet then."

Walking over to the pool table, Lola picked up a cue and began to chalk it. Her eyes turned back to Alex. "There's nothing you could offer me that I don't already have. I mean what could you give me really? Lessons on how to dress like I got rejected from Grease the musical?"

"Hilarious."

A cocky smirk darted across Alex's lips. He walked over to Lola, who was sitting on the side of the pool table. Towering a few inches above her, Alex drew his body closer to hers. He curled his forefinger under her chin and lifted her head up to face him.

Looking up at Alex, Lola noticed the bare millimetres between their lips. As he started to speak, she felt his breath brush against her skin.

"You know, love," Alex whispered. "There's a lot I could offer you."

His eyes drifted down to Lola's lips and she placed a hand on his cheek.

"Alex," she murmured, breathily.

"Yes?"

Her hand drifted down and rested on his chest. "You have a toothpaste stain on your shirt. Just there." She burst into a fit of laughter, pulling away from Alex's hold.

Wiping it away, the singer rolled his eyes with a laugh. "You're such a dickhead," he chuckled. "When I met you all those months ago, you were so sweet. You're much more sarcastic than I remember." He grinned. "Not like that's a bad thing."

"Well, we hardly know each other. There's a lot you don't know about me, Grease reject."

"Oh, we're coming up with nicknames now. Alright, Lola." A wide smile burst onto his face, as he started singing the Kinks song that Lola had grown to so strongly despise. "Well, I'm not the world's most masculine man, but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man... and so is Lola. La-la-la-la Lola."