xix. don't look back in anger

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r n i n e t e e n . . .

In an attempt to put as much distance between them and the scene they had caused on the dancefloor as possible, Lola and Alex sought out the location as far away as possible that offered the most privacy. This turned out to be the toilets. Lola found this to be more of a positive than a negative, as she was also determined to examine Alex's nose, from which scarlet was still steadily pouring.

Lounging in front of the entrance were a group of women dressed in skimpy outfits that revealed more skin than they covered. Eyeliner was smudged around their eyes, in something of a tribute to Effy Stonem, and an air of inebriation hung above them, drunken smiles playing on their bright red lips. One of them slurred something at Alex about offering him a good time in exchange for money and Lola, who had previously assumed the girls were just clubbing like she did in her uni days, found herself embarrassed at her own naivety.

Alex shook his head. "Sorry, love, I'll have to turn you down."

His grip on Lola's hand tightened and he took them through the door marked 'W/C'. Once through, there was a selection between two more doors: 'Ladies' and 'Gentlemen'. Before Alex could step into the men's room, Lola pushed open the first door.

"I'm not going in the girls' toilets," Alex exclaimed, horrified. "They'll think I'm some sort of sexual predator."

Laughing to herself, Lola brushed him off and walked in, with Alex reluctantly following her.

Astonishingly, the toilets were completely empty, except from the pair who had just entered. From what Lola remembered of clubs, they were normally packed with girls touching up their make-up, crying about a boy or drunkenly making a bond with a complete stranger. Often, all three at once. The bathroom was surprisingly clean, too. On many occasions prior, Lola had entered clubs' toilets only to find toilet paper and condoms littering the floor and cocaine residue at the side of the sinks. Blaring music from the rest of the club pumped throughout the toilets at a loud dynamic.

Alex still looked fairly uncomfortable being in the women's toilets and not the men's, causing Lola to open the door to one of the cubicles. "If you don't want anyone to see you, I'd recommend coming in here."

Once Alex had entered, Lola followed him into the fairly cramped space, locking the door behind her.

"Now, sit down and let me have a look at your nose."

"Sit on the toilet?"

Lola rolled her eyes with a laugh. "With the lid down, you idiot... and keep your trousers up. I don't want to see anything that'll end up scarring me for life."

Alex sat down and Lola stepped forward to see him better, taking his face gently in her hands.

"Shit. Your nose is still bleeding quite badly."