xxvi. carnival of wonders

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r t w e n t y s i x . . .

With Lola's eager anticipation and the dizzying feeling of desire she experienced at the thought of seeing Alex again, Saturday evening came around very quickly, as she stood in the open field, waiting for him to arrive. The fun fair was a myriad of bright colours and fluorescent lights. Neon pinks and blues shone off the waltzers and dodgems. Reds and yellows constituted the big top - which she was currently standing to the side of - and the delicate carousel, whose seemingly porcelain horses trotted round in a ring. Cheerful, up-tempo music poured from speakers all around the location. A vast array of food stands were lined up in a row - candy floss, hot dogs, burgers, popcorn and other assorted delights. The entire placed filled Lola with a heady feeling of youth, causing her to reminisce on visiting such fun fairs as a child.

She was snapped out of her reverie by the feeling of a hand reaching for her waist and spinning her around. Lola had little balance, and as she twirled she landed abruptly against a person in front of her. Looking up, she saw Alex grinning down at her. He tilted her face up to him, and pressed a kiss against her lips.

"Long time, no see, darling. How have you been?"

The mere sight of him caused a smile to rise to Lola's lips. He wore a plain white t-shirt and over it a black leather jacket with the collar popped up like Eric Cantona. She laughed at this, and pulled it down, telling him teasingly that he looked like an idiot. She responded, afterwards, that she was doing well and enquired after him and the band.

"We're doing well. Suck It and See comes out in two days, so everybody's been stressing about that. We've just changed a few things in the studio and been doing a couple of radio interviews before the release."

It was still insane for Lola to think about, every time he said it. How Alex and the rest of the lads were able to work with such dedication to release their passionate songs - real insight into their hearts. Into Alex's heart. It was the first time that she realised that she was not the only person to have access to the rawness of his soul; it was offered up so readily to all of their fans.

"I'm sure it'll be amazing," she replied, "I can't wait to listen."

"You're still coming on tour with us, aren't you? I couldn't do without you for so long."

Lola replied instantly that she had every intention of coming with them. She laughed at the thought of what her mother might say - that she was temporarily giving up dancing to be a groupie for the Arctic Monkeys. Although, as Alex Turner's... well, not girlfriend, but she was something more than just another girl following them around in desperate hopes of getting with one of them. Alex Turner liked her...

Neither of them had dared to use the stronger word.

Now, Alex had entwined his and Lola's arms and the pair had joined the queue for the nearest ride. Neon green paint in spidery handwriting, accompanied by badly-drawn cobwebs, on a black background read: Ghost Train. Screams echoed from inside, albeit mostly from children, causing the two to laugh. The only ghost train Lola had previously ridden was one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach when she was eight; the phantom mannequins had failed to frighten her, although the ride breaking down, leaving her trapped in the dark for several hours certainly had. It wasn't long before Lola and Alex got to the front of the line and were being buckled into the ride.