xiv. a nightmare.

Depuis le début

margo could only ever remember one other time in her life that she felt this scared for what was going to happen in the next few moments, and that being when the pilot lost control of the plane. this feeling was very similar to that one, as she stood there with her eyes glued to the hardwood ground, an anxious sweat breaking out all over her body and her ears starting to ring as the two adults around her began to argue and yell at one another.

"you can't be mad at him! you did it first! you fucked someone else first and ruined your relationship before i ever touched him," margo cut into their loud banter, causing both of their heads to quickly turn her way and their eyes gluing their attention onto her. margo glanced at the frantic man beside her, despite seeing him shake his head with a knowing look in his eyes, silently telling the girl not to do what he knew she was about to. margo continued on.

"what the hell are you talking about-"

"you cheated on him. and you've been cheating on him for the last month!" margo exclaimed, cutting her mother off. diana scoffed, shaking her head as she tore her eyes off of her daughter, almost as if she was dismissing margo's accusations. "and so what? at least he wasn't sixteen! seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?!" diana switched her attention onto jeffrey, who felt like he no longer had a voice, he couldn't manage to speak or form any kind of words.

there was nothing to say back, what was wrong with him? this is bad, really bad, jeffrey didn't realize how bad up until now. he needed out of this situation and fast, like yesterday fast. diana wouldn't hesitate to take him to court and he knew it, he also didn't blame her, god jeffrey didn't even wanna think about comparing his age to margo's. he should've kept his hands to himself, he should've told margo to stop, he never should've agreed to discipline her. there was a lot of things he shouldn't have done.

"this isn't his fault! he didn't make me do anything, i wanted to do everything we did-"

"oh don't feed me that bullshit, margo. that isn't how it worlds! you're a child and he's an adult- your step dad that is! even fucking worse, oh the police department back home is gonna love this one-"

"i'll leave." jeffrey spoke, speaking his first words since he entered the house. diana's eyes flickered over to him, her expression stern and almost frightening. the woman crossed her arms over her chest as her eyes narrowed, as if she was trying to see inside jeffrey's head to know if he was lying or not. jeffrey can not spend the next ten years in a prison cell, not at his age, not because of this, not when he never hurt her.

"i can be on a flight home by morning, i'll pack my things and you won't see me again, you can keep the house, i don't want it." jeffrey spoke to diana, he didn't dare look at the blonde standing next to him, god no, he knew she had to have had that sad look on her face, with definite glossy eyes and her bottom lip wobbling out. one look at her and he'd crumble, so he kept his eyes anywhere else.

"i want you out within twenty minutes, get your shit and leave." diana responded, nodding her head towards the upstairs. jeffrey only merely hesitated to look at the woman once more, before he turned his head to the staircase and headed for it, his eyes never sparing margo a glance despite him seeing her stare on him from out the corner of his eye. once jeffrey began climbing the steps, margo quickly sprinted to catch up to him, only to be stopped by her mother's voice.

"hell no! you get your ass back down here!" diana yelled at her teenage daughter, her voice loud and shaky. margo blinked as she watched jeffrey reach the top of the steps and turn to head to his and diana's bedroom, thus causing the tears to spill over and roll down her cheeks. "you're fucking lucky i'm not throwing him in jail, leave him alone or that's where he'll end up." diana threatened the blonde, almost daring margo to follow jeffrey.

margo turned around to sit on the third to last step, leaning the side of her head against the wall, she folded and crossed her arms in her lap, pressing them against her stomach. she decided to wait there, jeffrey would have to come back down the stairs, she needed some interaction with him, she needed to know he wasn't mad at her, she had to know he didn't blame her for this. diana sat at the kitchen table, the whole house was silent, the only occasional sound being jeffrey's footsteps from upstairs.

margo couldn't stop crying, her cheeks were starting to burn from how many tears she's wiped away. she couldn't lose jeffrey, that man was everything to her, margo couldn't remember what life was like before him. who was going to comfort her when she was sad? surely not her mother. margo would never forgive diana for this, they would never repair the relationship they once had. she had already decided that she was not going to listen to anything her mother had to say, she lost all of margo's respect— or what little she had left.

it was six minutes later when jeffrey came jogging down the staircase, the sound making margo jolt up and turn around to face the man, swallowing the lump in her throat as she watched him get closer to her, though jeffrey never spared her one glance. margo's shoulders fell at this, her lips parting and her heart rate starting to quicken. he was angry at her. margo pushed herself up to her feet using the railing, following into the dinning room after jeffrey.

"if you're taking the jeep how are we gonna get to the airport?" diana asked, her voice flat. she had her elbows up on the dinning table, fingers clasped together to hold her hands under her chin. "not taking the jeep, you's keep it. i called an uber." jeffrey responded, margo watched the two's short conversation with watery eyes. she hated the energy in the room, it was tense, everyone was angry with one another and on edge.

jeffrey clicked the handle to the black suitcase that was his, pulling the restraint up to roll the luggage on its wheels towards the front door, passing both the girls. margo could not let this be the last time she ever saw jeffrey and he never even looked at her. after everything the two have been through, she wouldn't allow it, they've came too far.

"jeffrey.." came margo's quiet and shaky voice, the blonde couldn't think of a time it had ever sounded anything like that, and that night it for sure sounded out of place. jeffrey stopped at the door, the outside breeze blowing in. he had to, she was sad, and it has always been his job to fix it. he couldn't stand the thought of her crying, let alone because of him, the idea of leaving her crushed him, but he had no other choice. margo would be fine, he knew she would, she had her whole life ahead of her, sure it pained him endlessly to think of her being upset for a couple months, but she would be okay, she'd move on. jeffrey on the other hand was a different story, but it wasn't about him, like always he had margo's best interest at heart.

but if he looked at her, he knew he would break.

"bye, tink." it was more of a mumble and he said it staring at the wooden door in front of him, but margo heard him, the room was dead silence,
making it easy to. margo stared at the back of him, several more hot tears spilling over her eyes, rolling down her cheeks and over her neck, she had stopped trying to wipe them, it was pointless. margo opened her mouth to say something else just as the man had opened the door wider, and margo found herself for once in her life speechless.

jeffrey left the house after that, shutting the door and leaving behind his whole heart. he didn't even make it down the driveway before he heard screaming come from inside the house. as he stood on the sidewalk, his suitcase next to him and a bag on his back, he could not believe how quickly his life had flipped upside down. less than an hour ago he was walking out of the park with margo on his back, mentally making plans for the following day.

and now he's getting into an uber to go back to a home that no longer exists.

my heart is brokennnn