Thirteen

The Marquis strode languidly into the library and found Hugo sitting by the fire, all by himself. "Ah, cousin Hugo! The very man I wanted to see," he said amiably.

Glancing up from the book he was reading, Mr Langford knitted his brows. "Do you need something, Denver? I thought you were in the drawing room with the rest of them."

"I've decided to sit out on backgammon and left it to the young ones. Seeing them so full of gig makes me feel positively old," Denver explained in a self-depreciatory tone. He went to the credenza and poured some brandy on two glasses. "Care for a drink?"

Hugo accepted it with a murmur of thanks. "What absurd things you say: you hardly look your age, you know. Two and thirty isn't bad, although I daresay one is more inclined to contemplate marriage when one has reached that certain age. However, you don't look as though you're desperately looking for a wife, do you?"

"Ah, but if I would be half as lucky as you to find a wife that would make me content!" the Marquis replied, sipping his brandy. "Alas, the marriage mart has no one to recommend to me this year, or last year, or the year before that. Moreover, I still have qualms to proceed to so drastic a step. Only think, my dear, of the possible consequences should I accidentally get a wife who'd bore me to tears within half a year in our marriage. I cringe to think at all."

Hugo said wryly, "Surely you would not take any woman to be your wife 'accidentally'? I credit you with far more sense than imagine you leg-shackled borne out of imprudence." The Marquis thanked him meekly. "Besides," he continued, surveying that bored face, "You have been too busy to think of something else."

His eyelids dropped. "Not quite! I still find time to amuse myself somewhere else, fortunately."

"Are you? One would infer that your greatest source of amusement right now is our newfound cousin. I must say it is very unlike you, Denver."

Denver raised a brow. "My dear Hugo! Have you been closely observing me?"

"One does not need to watch you closely to tell!" his cousin retorted with a touch of annoyance.

"I confess, to cast myself to the role of a Devoted Cousin certainly has its charms," Denver reflected. Considering our grandfather's condition, nobody in the family would likely take as much responsibility of looking after her as I would until she's comfortably established, of course. But my indolence always gets in the way of things."

"Pray, don't tax yourself too much!" said Hugo sardonically. "You can leave half of the job to our Aunt Lillian: I'm sure she would not mind in the least." Mr Langford sipped his brandy in silence. Afterwards, he looked intently at the Marquis. "I hope you will satisfy my curiosity Denver: how exactly did you find her?"

"In other words, you hope I would indulge your prying? By all means, cousin! Where shall I start? Ah, with hiring some capable men, of course," Denver started with a flippant tone. Since Hugo did not in the least look a bit amused, he sighed, and added: "I wish you weren't so grave, cousin! You would do very well with the slightest bit of humour. Poor Mary!"

Hugo gave him a rather tight smile. "I'm afraid my disposition does not permit me to engage as much levity as you would, and last time I check, it was totally fine with my wife. Moreover, while you enjoy being the object of everyone's contempt, I certainly demur at attracting ill-feelings from my relatives. We two are poles apart, Denver. The only thing we have in common right now, I am happy to say, is our desire to please our grandfather."

The Marquis' lips twitched. "'Please our grandfather', eh?" he purred. "How charming of you to put it that way! Alas, it seems that I have to ruin whatever delusions you are cherishing, my dear cousin: I please no one but myself."