Five

Hugo Langford, having deemed it only proper to watch over his grandfather until he was fully recovered, had elected to stay behind at Stanfield Court. The Duke didn't see any reason to disagree with this arrangement, and had in fact conferred his grandson the rare distinction of putting the estate's affairs into his capable hands while he was still convalescing. Having been reared all his life with the chief purpose of pleasing his grandsire, Hugo was only too happy to oblige, and was fast assuming the role as the duke's right hand for the meantime. He saw the rest of his family off in a manner of a satisfied host; indeed, he was gratified of how things had turned out. During the course of their stay, no unpleasant circumstances had occurred to mar the fragile harmony between all of them, and since Evelyn, who had the lamentable tendency of disrupting the peace in the past, had thought it better than to provoke discord between himself and his relatives.

Presently, Hugo strolled to the Duke of Montmaine's bedchamber. The blinds had been pulled back and sunshine streamed through the tall windows of the room. Perched on his enormous bed, his grace looked much better than he had been a few weeks ago, and Hugo was relieved to see some colour on his gaunt cheeks. Just several days ago the doctor had declared his grace's health to be on the mend already, and he was, thank the Lord, completely out of danger. Hugo could only ascribe this to his grandfather's will to live, and he had to admit, although reluctantly, that Denver's visit had somehow contributed to alleviate his illness. It was naturally astonishing for all of them to see this improvement unfold between Denver's relationship with the Duke; even Lady Isabella was harbouring less uncharitable thoughts towards his disgraceful nephew.

"You sent for me, sir?" Hugo asked softly.

"I did. Come here!"

Hugo obliged, and stepped on the dais and stood beside his grandfather's bed. For a while he searched the pale, wrinkled face, then said, "How are you feeling now?"

"Oh, better—much better!" responded the Duke in a light tone. "It's amazing how one can be brought back from the fringes of death, eh? Well, I do not plan to die yet, let me assure you!"

Hugo smiled faintly. "Indeed, sir. Your will to live is very much admirable."

"Sooner or later this will would be extinguished, and I'll no longer be able to put up a fight," replied his grace broodingly. "But not before I am done with what needs to be done! I will only leave this world at a point when everything's wrapped up clean. Any word from Denver?"

"No, sir. We have not heard from him since he left. Collin has been telling me he might have left for France."

His grace made a harrumphing sound. "You do not correspond regularly, do you?"

Hugo shrugged. "No, sir."

"Ha! I can see that: you dislike Evelyn very cordially indeed." Hugo stiffened a little, but the Duke continued, his withering lips pursed, "Stands to reason! That boy does nothing but set up the backs of his family whenever he's got the chance." Hugo gave his emphatic agreement to this, but was little astonished by his grandfather's next words. "Still," added his grace, "I am putting some faith on him this time. If it weren't something so important, I would not have entrusted it to him. What is more, he will soon be the head of this family, so I'd as lief — now why are you gaping at me like that?"

"I beg your pardon," Hugo said, collecting himself. "I own I am — surprised to hear you say that of him. May I ask what is so important that you entrusted to him?"

The Duke did not answer for a while. He shifted on his bed and stretched out one frail hand. "Help me: I want to stand up."

Hugo frowned. "Are you quite sure? You still need to rest, sir."