There Ain't Nothin' Like a Nanny

Episode 5: Renewal - March 6 2020

(prompt word: 'diet')

"Ohh babe, what are we going to do?" Cuddling him even closer I looked lovingly into those huge brown eyes. Melted chocolate, I thought, like my melting heart whenever I look deep inside those windows to the soul. Bending my head down, I whispered sweet, soothing words into his ears. He always relaxed when my voice came out softly, lovingly - and I kissed the top of his head. All was well in his world whenever I was near.

It had been easy in the city. All the formula ingredients for his special milk diet freely available from the local health food store. And then the chemist came on board as well, happily ordering the rare ingredients exclusively for me. But supplies had become erratic in our small country town - our weekly shopping hub. We were desperate.

Recently I'd discovered any changes to the essential 3-4 hourly feeding routine resulted in dire consequences. Couldn't help a rueful shake of my head as I thought of disposable nappies. Not my usual choice, but essential in an emergency. Along with baby wet wipes and similar - items that had been so easy in the city, even after-hours. What a blessing that 24-hour chemist had been, time after time.

Abruptly I straightened up, causing sudden alarm in the babe - instantly wide awake now, his eyes huge. My head lifted involuntarily as I blurted out... "Goat's milk! That's what we need!"

"Goat's milk?" Kanute looked momentarily confused. "Ahh, now hang on! That's what Mrs. Sanderson told us about for all kinds of allergies - and digestion problems - AND babies with special needs. Put them on a diet of goat's milk. That's what she said."

Now I felt my face glow with the memories of that amazing lady. Mrs. Sanderson wasn't an official nutritionist, but her knowledge of baby formulas was awesome. After many years raising countless small unwanted souls, she was an expert in her field. I shook my head in wondering. "What would we ever have done without her to guide us? AND give us the recipe along with a healthy portion of formula to get us started?"

My dreamy moment was cut short as my eyes flicked to Kanute's face. As quickly as it had lit up, his mouth now tightened, ends pulled down in a grimace of frustration. "... but where on earth can we get a goat out here?" Obviously, he could only think of sheep farmers in our district – the centre of the wheat belt. And no goats at the weekly stock market, either.

Undeterred, and with my usual optimism, I shrugged. "We'll find her," I said. "Just wait and see. I will NOT lose this baby."

Eventually, with pleas spread far and wide, we did. Just when we were despairing of success, and the fabulous formula was dwindling alarmingly, we found her.

She bore the strikingly original name of Nan, and due to her ease of milking, she became our Earth Nanny. We learned to raise all our rescues on pure goat's milk... from their first drink.

"... and not only all the 'roos. It didn't matter what you tried it on - animal OR human." Kanute smiled, even chuckled some as he slipped his arm around me. Me and Snoopy, the baby kangaroo.

***The actual recordings can be heard by clicking on the link in the comments below.
Hope you enjoy all the accents as much as we do.   Christine.