A Kiss Before Dawn

Start from the beginning

Eldon looked at the man's face and was overwhelmed by a desire to protect him, to spare him from the pain. Could he? Yes, he could. He could take Tim to the place where he'd get an answer to all those questions. Would it do any good? Would the answers be what Tim needed to hear?

"We maybe could..." he began, but Tim opened his eyes and gave him a stern and definitive look.

"No. I don't want to go back and see him," he said, his face lit up by the silvery glow. "I think...some things are better left unsaid." Eldon silently nodded and Tim drew a weak and fleeting smile, before laying back down. "Why do you think you can do it?"

"We can do it," Eldon quickly corrected him. "The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that you can do it too. The Marquise as well. We've been doing it for a while, now, I reckon. The Ironport dream is proof enough."

Tim scratched his head, looking more child-like than ever. "The Marquise did refer to it as a memory. Do you think she knows the truth? Master Nilla must've told her. Don Osgood did say he planned on telling us, he just died before he could."

"Ah, that dick, how dare he die?"

"Do you reckon she can do it like you can? The Marquise, I mean." Tim turned to his side to face Eldon, resting his body on his right arm.

"I don't know. Another thing we can ask her when we see her again. If we see her again."

The darkness of that thought send an unexpected rain of shivers down his spine.

"How do you do it?"

Eldon frowned. He had been asking himself the same question since that day in the library when he first did it. He had come up with an explanation that was good enough for him, for the time being. He didn't know if he could put it into words, though.

"It's like there's something inside me," he began, doing his best to make sense. "The energy that I need to throw a punch is inside me, right? Well, whatever it is that I use to open the portals is also inside me. Instead of using it to jump or run or punch, I use it to open a door. I think of where I want to go and I grab onto that thought until the portal appears. And then it does. The first couple of tries took a long time. Hours, actually. But I seem to be getting better. This last time with you it took me what, a couple of minutes, maybe?"

"I always knew you were special, but this is just too much. I never even thought something like this was possible."

Eldon laughed, feeling embarrassed all of a sudden. "I don't know about special. I do make a mean pot roast, though."

"I've had your pot roast," Timmy said, showing his white and shiny teeth. "Going back in time is still more impressive."

"Maybe where we come from, everyone could do it."

Tim shook his head. "If they could, why didn't they come here with us? No, I think this is something only you have. The question is, why? Why you? Were you born with it? Or was it given to you? And if so, by whom?"

Tim seemed fascinated by those thoughts. Eldon enjoyed the attention Tim always gave him, but tonight, he couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable by it. Would Tim's initial awe of the ability turn into bitter jealousy in the long run? Would this drive a wedge between them?

No. He wouldn't be losing Tim over this. He wouldn't be losing Tim over anything. Stubborn as he was, he stood up, determined to prove that his silver-haired friend was just as special as he was.

"Get up," he commanded and Timmy obeyed. "Let's do this."

"Do what?"

"Dance the Polka. What do you think? We're going to prove that you can do it too. Close your eyes."

Tim look unconvinced but he went along and complied, most likely to please Eldon rather than out of a genuine belief he too could travel back.

"Alright. What exactly am I doing?"

"You're concentrating." Eldon used his most strict tone as he began circling the young man. "I need you to try and envision your energy."

Tim scowled. "I'm not exactly sure what you're saying."

"Just imagine you're an engine. I need you to think of the steam that makes you work. Picture it. Give it a color. A smell, maybe."

"You do that too?"

"I do. Mine is silver-colored. It's cold, a bit chilly even, but it makes me feel safe and stronger. Protected. And it smells like mint. It's a powerful, intoxicating smell that overwhelms me. It embraces me, fills me up completely."

As Eldon spoke, he felt his body warm with excitement. His limbs felt light and a tingly sensation began to roam his chest, travelling further south. The heat climbed to his face and suddenly, his clothes were a hindrance. He felt grateful that Tim's eyes were still closed as he unbuttoned his shirt, fanning himself with his hand.

"Okay, your turn."

"I think mine is blue." Tim pressed his eyes closer together, as if he was trying to concentrate. "A very bright, intense shade of blue. It's quite dazzling. And it smells like sea water, salty and fresh. It cools me down. It's nice. I like it."

"Very well. Now feel it in your body. Feel it traveling through you, overflowing you. Make it take over every part of you. Make your body blue, bright and intense. Feel the water, the salt, the fresh air. Feel it cooling you down."

They were now in front of each other. They were so close that he felt Tim's breath on his face. Eldon instinctively grabbed his friend's hands, interlacing their fingers. They were hot and soft, and as soon as he touched them, he felt his body shaking with anticipation.

"I'm sorry," he said as he tried to pull away, but Tim didn't let him.

"Don't. I like it." Tim got rid of the small distance that still separated them and they were now chest to chest, practically breathing the same air. "I like to feel you close. It soothes me."

Tim's hands then separated from his and travelled to his back, holding him even closer. They had hugged before, but this was different. It was more intimate. Tim's hands started sliding across his back, as if they were explorers and Eldon was a strange and exciting uncharted territory. No words needed to be said. Their touch was doing all the talking necessary.

And it felt right. It was like their bodies were meant to fit together. Eldon pressed himself closer to Tim, wanting to feel him in every possible way. To his surprise, Tim reciprocated, and they were now literally holding on to each other.

Eldon knew why he was doing it. Why was Tim? He didn't want to ruin the moment by asking him, so he chose to stay quiet and simply enjoy what was happening, whatever it was.

Then Tim changed everything.

"Stay with me?"

The whisper graced Eldon's ear and the words became a shiver that slid down his back. His legs threatened to give up but luckily he had someone to catch him.

Tim. His Tim.

He tried to say something but nothing came out. He was never speechless, he always had something to say. But this wasn't a moment for stupid jokes or off-hand comments. This was a moment that wouldn't come back if he ruined it.

This was the moment.

Slowly, he separated from Tim and their gazes met. Eldon didn't think anymore. He closed his eyes and travelled the short distance that separated him from Tim. When their lips met, Eldon knew those were the last lips he ever wanted to kiss. They had journeyed from a distant past, they had braved the flow of time itself, and they had done it together. It couldn't be a coincidence.

They were meant to be together.

As they both understood it at once, their kiss became more intense, more decisive. Outside, the sun was making its way onto the sky. Night became day and the light gave them new clarity. This, Eldon knew, was the start of a new adventure. Now more than ever, he had a reason to fight. A reason to live. They'd stay alive for each other. It was a pact they were making. A deal. And they sealed it with a kiss before dawn.