A Warm Rain (Shingen Takeda x Reader)

Start from the beginning

"Mmm," you hummed in agreement, leaning your head back against his shoulder and exposing your neck to him for kissing. "It feels like they're trying to fight their way out. Definitely a warlord's kid."

Laughing, he caressed your stomach soothingly, murmuring, "Calm down for mama, huh? There'll be plenty of fighting later when Kenshin decides you're old enough to hold a sword."

You grimaced and he laughed some more. Of course, you knew he was kidding. There was no way Shingen wasn't going to let the battle-obsessed war god anywhere near his child for a long time. The thought of Kenshin's bloodlust rubbing off on his precious baby...

Suddenly, you gasped and he flew into serious mode, his grip on you tightening protectively. "What? What's wrong?"

"Shingen, I - my water broke!" Narrowed gaze snapping to your stomach, he felt you jerk in his arms, a pained yelp escaping your lips. "The baby's coming!"

He didn't waste a second, even though he was panicking inside. Wasn't it too early? There was still a good month left before the birth was supposed to take place. Had something suddenly gone wrong? 'God, please no.'

Lifting you in his arms, he took you back inside and settled you onto the futon, pressing a quick kiss to your head before unwinding your fingers from his and running into the hallway. His booming voice filled the hall, rising above the pounding rain and thunder, and soon enough your shared room was filled with other people, Yukimura trying to pull him out even as Shingen remained rooted at your side, brushing sweaty strands of hair away from your forehead and letting you strangle his hand.

"Shingen-!" you gasped, eyes wide. You knew it was too early and you were scared, scared for your life and the life of your child.

It took every bit of his rapidly fraying composure not to give you the same terrified look in return, pressing his lips hard against your temple instead. It was a wonder he was able to keep his voice steady as he said, "You're amazing, my love. You can do this. You're stronger than anyone I know. It's going to be okay. You and the baby are going to be okay."

"Lord Shingen, we can't stay in here!" Yukimura insisted, tugging harder. The maids and midwife echoed him, but he barely heard, feeling his heart throb painfully as another contraction wracked your pained form.

"I love you," he managed before finally letting himself be pulled away, his eyes never leaving you until the sliding door slammed into place before him. It echoed the sound of his heart snapping into pieces, and a sudden flash of lightning made him jump.

Thus began what felt like the longest wait of his life, the only news to go off of the sound of your cries. He ached to be in there with you, holding your hand and supporting you through the pain, but he didn't want to get in the way, especially if something really was wrong.

Yukimura attempted to talk to him a couple of times as Shingen paced back and forth, but stopped when his lord crumpled to the floor, his strength leaving him as he trembled and prayed to whatever gods were listening.

He'd been sitting there for hours now, his pain numbing to a blinding ache as the seconds, minutes, hours crept by, each cry chipping away at him in a way he hadn't known was possible. It was fear and pain and despair sharpened to knife-point and steadily being used to stab away at his hope. The storm made it worse, lightning and thunder adding an ominous sense to his terror and bringing out his worst fantasies. Something was wrong. It must be. It was taking too long, and there was no way he was just going to sit here and let you suffer alone.

He stood with a snarl and Yukimura startled, reaching for him as he moved to tear open the screen doors.

"Lord Shingen, no!" The other man wrapped his arms around his lord's waist who rounded on him with a glare.