Chapter Eight

MADDIE

Classes were brutal, as always. I was glad that I didn't see much of Paige, because I didn't want to be reminded of my past. Of Pittsburgh. Of Josh.

I tucked a stray strand of my brown hair behind my ear as I hastily copied down important phrases from my Professor's lecture. I should really just record it, like others were doing.

Class finished up about two hours later and I had another two hours before another class started. I had the packet from Picturesque in my bag and I decided that I would drop it off at the store, even though Quincy scared the living hell out of me.

It took me a few minutes to get there from campus, and I saw another girl standing by the door, presumably there to greet customers. I told her I had to go see Quincy, and she followed me as I made my way to the back. I didn't need an escort.

Before I could even knock on the door, Quincy made his way out of his office, and grabbed the packet from my hand. He flipped through it, barely, and faked a smile.

"Congrats. You start today." He turned around and was about to enter his office again before I grabbed him by his wrist.

"I can't! I have classes."

"Where do you go?" He asked, turning around and quirking a single eyebrow.

"UCLA."

He scoffed, before starting to chuckle and the girl, who told me her name was Katy, started to nervously giggle as well.

"What? What's so funny?" I felt self conscious. What were they laughing at?

"It's just, why would you need a job when you have your rich daddy paying for everything?" Quincy snapped, his tone laced with bitterness and a hint of envy.

"What are you even talking about?"

"ULCA girls are all the same. They're all smart, bitchy, and total-"

"Katy, that's enough." Quincy said. "Start Friday after classes then. You have the 5-8 shift."

---

"He was a total dick! And so was that girl! She was like 'UCLA girls are all they same, they're bitchy, they're this and yada yada. I tuned out." I was currently ranting to Talia about my experience at the boutique. What they said was totally out of line and I could totally report them to the labor union or something.

Talia chuckled to herself as she studied for her Bio test. I never studied. I guess things come naturally to me. Both the good and the bad.

"Where's Alex?" I hadn't really seen him after he told me about his girlfriend. I guess that's why I got the biggest room. Because no one wanted to sleep in their dead friend's room.

"I don't know, he's suppose to be done with classes by now. I think he's out with friends." Talia shrugged, and continued highlighting.

I went to my room, and thought about face timing Mackenzie. It was probably around twelve over there, but it was worth a shot. After a few short rings, Mackenzie's face popped onto my phone. Was she in her room? And was she crying?

"Mackenzie?" I asked hesitantly.

"I hate you."

"What?"

"Are you deaf? I said I hate you! You ruined my life!" She cried into her pillow, even though the pillow did nothing to hide her sobbing. What was going on? I didn't speak to her for a couple of weeks. What could I have possibly done?

"Mackenzie..." A single tear slid down my own makeup filled cheek, exposing my natural skin.

"I'm sorry," she said as she looked at me and saw I was crying. "It's not your fault, it's Josh's and Brooke's and Sasha's and Paige's. It's all their fault!"

"Mackenzie, you have to tell me what happened."

"Remember that stupid bet Josh made on you? Isaac did the same thing to me. God, I'm so stupid. I lost my virginity to him, Maddie. I let him take away my innocence. Then he said it's all part of the tradition Josh started, like three years ago. They've been doing it ever since."

"What tradition?" I asked, even though I knew the answer.

"They always make a bet on the new girl, to see who can get to her first. Only this time, they wanted to bet on me, your little sister, because you were the first girl to fall victim to the tradition." Mackenzie wiped the tears from her face. "He laughed in my face when I started crying. He told me I was a slut, just like my sister."

"First of all Mackenzie, you can't spend your life crying over this. Remember when it happened to me? I told you I wasn't crying because Josh didn't deserve my tears. And Isaac doesn't deserve your's, either." I smiled at her, trying to reassure her that everything was going to be okay. "And tell Mom to get you out of that school. I told Mom you shouldn't be going to Franklin after what happened. I knew something like this would occur."

"Some things you just can't control." Mackenzie shrugged. "And Josh really did like you. Maybe loved you. He was just caught up in the wrong people."

I rolled my eyes. Mackenzie would constantly tell me that Josh didn't mean to do what he did, and that he loved me. Josh did what he did. There's no way for me to forgive him. Ever.

"Yeah, then why was he staring at my boobs when I saw him a couple of weeks ago?" I asked, not realizing I told her what I've been trying not to.

"You saw him! Like recently! Oh my god, really? What did he say?"

"He didn't recognize me at first. He asked if I wanted to catch up, and I said no. And then Alex scared him away." I bit my lip, waiting for my little sister's reaction.

"Whatever, Maddie. You can't keep running from him. I know it must be hard, because I'm experiencing the same thing, but you're just making the present harder when you keep bringing up the past."

-----
i've been working on this update for a while woo!!!!!!! i've been planning this mackenzie thing ever since i started BWC, i just didn't know the time to bring it up.

15 comments & 30 votes for more??