Chapter 13 - Meet Me Halfway

Start from the beginning

When the wound healed, I emptied my mind of all thoughts and just kept on fighting.

Suddenly, I felt a different power in the air. Just as I was about to turn around, a sword blocked my attack...

...And I came face to face with one of my brothers.

"Zeus," I greeted. I stared directly into eyes the color of the sky. Right now, they were filled with mischief and curiosity.

Leandro appeared beside me. "My l-lord. Apologies. Zeus requested to see you."

"And I wouldn't take no for an answer," Zeus added with a smile.

"Is there something you need?" I asked as I lowered my weapon and accepted the cloth Leandro offered.

"What? You don't want to spar with me?" Zeus asked, pouting. Around him, the air felt charged with static electricity. He clenched his hand and lightning danced from the tips of his fingers.

I wiped my sword and then set it back on the wall. I turned to the shades who stood waiting. "Thank you for your service." I told them. They bowed and with a wave of my hand, they disappeared.

"How long was I here?" I asked Leandro.

"Almost half a day, your highness. It's almost time for dinner," my trusted servant answered. He handed another piece of cloth and that one I used to wipe away my sweat.

"Come on, Hades. Just like old times," Zeus taunted.

I shook my head. "Tell me why you're here."

He sighed. "Always so direct." The weapon in his hand vanished and he walked towards the wall to inspect the other weapons. "I wanted updates regarding your prisoner."

Ah, the shades of those captured at the Oracle's home.

"We've tortured them but no one has given any information," I replied.

"What kind of torture?" Zeus asked.

I smirked. "I let the Furies have them." Zeus winced. "Well that is severe. And still no one volunteered any information? This is curious. Don't they realize there is no escape from the afterlife?"

I merely shrugged in reply.

"Mind if I have a go at them?" Zeus asked.

I waved my hand. "Be my guest."

I spent the next few hours in the throne room listening to Leandro's reports. I also made myself available for some of the shades' requests. Again, it was the same and nothing new.

With a flash of lightning, Zeus appeared.

"Any luck?" I asked.

"None," he replied with a sad shake of his head. His lips were pursed in a thin line. I wanted to gloat and say 'I told you so' but that won't bring us any good.

"So you're leaving now?" I asked. It was more of a reminder not to loiter than a question.

"In a bit. First, I wanted to meet your queen. I think introductions are in order," Zeus said. In an instant, I was out of my throne and striding towards the middle of the room.

"You'll meet her in the coronation," I answered.

Zeus clucked his tongue. "So possessive already? I'm not going to steal her away, brother. I'm just curious."

"And the answer is the same. You'll meet her at the coronation. She is mortal and she's new to all this," I explained.

"Ahh. But be prepared for several more visitors. You can't summon Apollo to heal her and not have him spilling your secrets. You've been waiting for her for a long time and so have we. Everyone is curious about her. Even my Hera wants to meet the new queen."