30 // A Bucket Full of Wishes

Start from the beginning

"Mom, puntahan ko lang si Vie." I kissed her hand before mad dashing to where Vie was.

Naghintay ako sa gilid habang hindi pa sila tapos sa picture-taking. After the shutter went off, her beautiful smile disappeared. Her eyes went into frenzy looking around, and when it stopped to my direction she frowned.

Tumakbo siya palapit sa akin. Humalakhak ako. Humawak siya sa kamay ko nang nakangiwi pa rin. "Sorry, I couldn't text back. My battery's dead. Hindi ko pala na-charge kagabi phone ko. I left it in the car, charging."

I nodded. "You don't have to explain, Vie." I planted a quick kiss on her cheek. Handing her the flowers, I said, "Congratulations, love."

Her face flushed. "Thank you. Uhm, congratulations din."

She still hasn't marched to get her diploma but here I was already proud of her. Whatever she wanted to do after all this, I could foresee myself by her side, making her coffee whenever she needed one or when she feels tired achieving anything.

Hindi man ako ang kasama niya noong simula, siguradong ako na ang nasa tabi niya hanggang dulo. The first one will always be remembered, I accept it. But the one who stays is the man who wins, as he is to be memorized every single day until the heart lose luster.

And I will stay.

I rappelled up her well-built wall to get to the other side. I made it cautiously and patiently. Breaking her walls had no point, she built it for a reason and no one has the license to demolish it to get to her. Whatever she built was hers and only hers to give up and destroy.

I am a mere welcomed trespasser. It's now in my hands to guard all parts of her.

"Jess, go home with mom and dad today," I said to my sister after the graduation ceremony.

She eyed me suspiciously. "Why?"

"Maglilinis ako ng condo."

"Linis, your ass!" She crossed her arms. "I don't believe you, but okay. Be sure to clean my room, too."

"Sure," I said nonchalantly. Sure, I'll clean.

Kinagabihan ko na nahiram si Vie sa family niya. The comforters and takeaways were all ready in the balcony.

From her elegant cream dress this morning, she's now changed into hoodie and joggers. The duality of my love.

Pagkasara ko ng pinto ay dinala ko kaagad siya sa dibdib ko para mayakap. Sumandal ako sa pader at hinaplos ang buhok niya.

"I missed you, Vie," I mumbled.

Inangat niya ang mukha niya para ipakita sa akin ang kumukurap-kurap niyang mata. She's sporting a cute puppy eyes look. "I'm hungry."

Natawa ako. Alright, alright! Gusto ko pa sanang maglambing. Mamaya na lang, bubusugin ko na muna.

The stars fought the air pollution tonight. They reign the vast sky in perfect timing.

Humikab siya habang inaayos ko ang pagkain namin. Nangingiti akong umiling. "You're sleepy, too?"

Agad siyang umayos ng upo. "'Di ah! 'Di ako marunong antukin."

I spiraled the pasta onto the fork and brought it closer to Vie's lips. She was hesitant at first, hanggang sa paulit ulit ko siyang pinakain at naubos na ang pagkain niya.

"Hindi ka ba kakain?" she asked after she finished a glass of water.

"Kakain, kung pakakainin mo rin ako." Ngumisi ako at itinaas-baba ang noo ko.

"May kamay ka kaya," she sharply pointed out. Ipinahawak pa niya sa kamay ko ang tinidor.

Napakagat na lang ako sa labi habang natatawa. "You're really sweet."

I set all food aside and cuddled with her instead. Hindi ko siya pinakawalan sa bisig ko. Napangiti ako noong hindi siya nakipagtalo. A shy Viennica on my arms, what more could I ask for?

Ah, yes. Please don't rain.

"I have something, uhm, for you," she said softly. She shimmied out of my arms and pulled a what seemed like silver string from her hoodie's pocket.

She dangled a silver necklace in front of me. With her eyes focused on anywhere else but mine, she explained, "The pendant is a monogram of the letters V and J."

Shit, my heart melted! Parang gusto ko na talagang bumili ng bahay, ah.

I beamed. Tumalikod ako at itinuro ang leeg ko. "Wear it on me, Vie..."

She did me a favor, while on her knees, she placed the necklace around my neck and clasped it behind me. I looked down to see the pendant up close, it's small. I realized that it wasn't supposed to shout us, but only meant to remind that every time I wear this there is us.

Bago pa makalayo si Vie ay hinuli ko ang braso niya. Nahulog ang bigat ng katawan niya sa likod ko at iniyakap ko ang braso niya sa ibabaw ng balikat ko.

"Thank you for this. I love you, Vie," lambing ko.

She did a pretend cough. Natawa na naman ako, but not until she said it back, then my lips got frozen.

"I love you, too."

In one swift move, I brought her on my thighs. Her eyes expressed that she was taken aback but also rendered that she was ready for my next big move.

Dinala ko ang palad ako sa ilalim ng buhok niya. I caressed her hair until her soul felt dizzy. In a careful move, I kissed her lips. I continued softly until she answered back.

Through my lips I wanted to tell her that there's a reason why she was my sunshine. Like a sun, she rises an untroubled sunrise. Like a sun, she sets a splendid sunset.

It's a grip on reality to say that she was designed to be both. During sunset, it's when the skies were most beautiful, like the colors above us suspends in water before darkness. And when everything turned black, the only thing she's entailed to do was to dream. Because after darkness, she'll have daybreak, rising passionately until it ascends to a bright and blinding sunrise.

Viennica, I'm here for it. I'm here to keep a steady eye on each of your sunrise and sunset, however blinding or dimmed it will be. That is my oath.