Chapter 12.2

The Good Times In Life

008

Perhaps I had been away from home for far too long, but in any event, I have been unable to get a good night’s rest ever since I returned home, and frequently suffered from insomnia.

When Mr. F learnt that my parents had never ever read bedtime stories to me, his heart became filled with pity, and he volunteered to read fairy tales to me every night in an attempt to coax me to sleep. Since it was such a rare occasion whereby the Male Capricorn tried to do something that was vaguely romantic, I was extremely touched.

The first day, he read ‘The Princess and The Pea’; the second day, he read ‘Thumbelina’; and on the third day, he was supposed to read ‘The Little Mermaid’, but by then, he had already lost patience with the project. I told him that men ought to keep their word. Having thought over it, he sat down next to me and picked up the storybook before reading aloud in a righteous tone, “A long, long time ago, there was a mermaid. She liked to stay in the sea, and didn’t wish to explore other areas. As such, she blissfully lived out the rest of her life in this manner. End.”

Anderson would be so mad that he’d crawl out of his grave!

009

As it was a rare occasion that both of us were at home, I woke up early during the weekend to prepare breakfast. When I was in Primary School, whenever the final exams were nearing, my mother would always prepare a meal comprising of two eggs and a sausage in an attempt to symbolize the scoring of 100 marks.

I asked Mr. F whether he had this experience before.

He shook his head, “No, my meals were always prepared normally; there was no variation.”

I laughed at him, “Your childhood was so boring.”

He wiped the corners of his mouth, before telling me gently, “I don’t have to eat eggs and sausages in order to score 100 marks.” Glancing at me, he continued, “But you’re different.”

010

One night, when we were on the car driving past Chang An Street, I suddenly recalled the period of time when we first ascertained our relationship. Since he decided to send me home, we both boarded the double decker bus and sat in the first row. The psychedelic neon lights on Chang An street were shining brightly, and the evening autumn breeze was gentle and cooling.

There wasn’t many people on the bus, and everything seemed perfect. Suddenly, a thought flashed through my mind – It is a perfect time to kiss right now. Without thinking it through, I blurted out my inner thoughts, “Shouldn’t we kiss right now?”

He was stunned into silence, and stared at me in surprise.

As the traffic light turned red, the bus gradually came to a stop. I started counting down in my heart, planning to kiss him the moment the light turned green. Meanwhile, my eyes darted to the dwindling numbers beside the traffic light.