Ch. 26

The Great Hall was abuzz with curiosity that Monday morning during breakfast, and as soon as the Prophet was delivered to their table all three of the Gryffindor girls groaned as they realized just what everyone was discussing.

"They don't even know who wrote the damn thing and they're freaking out about it!" Sera exclaimed after leaning in towards the other two. "I've never seen another book get so much hype!"

"Yeah, but you know this is a huge leap in the field of research for Veelas," Holly said, skimming over the article. "That and your parents put a lot of information in there about their experiences; I'm honestly not surprised that people are going nuts."

Cassie shook her head but didn't say anything as she glanced across the table at Sera. "We'll be alright. Holly went through the book and she didn't find anything that was remotely incriminating that would lead everyone to know our parents wrote this."

"I know..." Sera rubbed the back of her neck nervously as she discreetly looked around. "People keep glancing at us."

"They always do that," Holly said absentmindedly as she moved some bacon onto her plate.

"No, these are different kinds of looks." Sera hunkered down slightly in her seat, putting her head down and stabbing at a potato. "I think they suspect something."

"Let them suspect," Holly shrugged before taking a bite.

Cassie let out a skeptical noise. "I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"Look, you two know that you can't keep this a secret forever," Holly said with a sigh. "I know you'd like to in order to protect your families, but honestly if your parents really wanted to keep it a secret they wouldn't have risked publishing that book."

"Well it's about our reputation too," Sera said reluctantly. "Especially Cass; if word gets out that she's a Veela it might affect her position in the tournament."

Cassie's stomach dropped as she slouched down slightly, frowning down at her plate. "I didn't think about that..."

Holly scoffed, causing the other two to look up at her in confusion. She gave them a look and said, "Come on; wasn't your Aunt Fleur a quarter Veela? She was in the Triwizard Tournament and didn't have an issue."

Tilting her head back and forth, Cassie sighed. "That's true."

"I'm just worried about it," Sera said with a heavy sigh.

With a shake of her head, Holly smiled and set the paper aside before raising an eyebrow at Cassie. "Isn't it time for your walk soon?"

Cassie scrunched her nose up at Holly. "We don't walk together every day."

"Might as well," Sera said with a grin.

Rolling her eyes, Cassie grabbed another croissant. "I haven't heard from him since before the duel on Saturday so he's probably busy with something."

Sera and Holly shared a look before Holly said, "Well don't sound so disappointed."

Cassie scowled at Holly but couldn't argue; in truth she was somewhat disappointed that she hadn't heard from him. She had started really enjoying spending time with him, and it was strengthening their connection too. She could now feel his emotions almost anywhere in the castle.

"Earth to Cassie!"

She blinked as a hand waved in front of her, bringing her out of her trance. "Sorry, got lost in thought."

"Apparently," Sera laughed. "Thinking about Mister Rosier?"

"Actually yes," Cassie said in a haughty tone, turning her nose upwards slightly. "I think it's perfectly fine if I want to think about him."