^"new" in town

What if, instead of Lynne moving to Chicago it was Ricky moving away from Chicago. ("CHICAAAAGOOO"- Trina Vega.) When he was a junior, Ricky's new world was essentially thrown in a tumble dryer then off a cliff. To put it simply, it wasn't good. Before he knew it, he was whisked away from the bustling world he'd learnt to love and shoved back into his old life. He'd been born here and he'd stayed her until seventh grade, when his mother and father had seperated. He'd been forced to follow his mother to Chicago and his life had been uprooted. He had to say goodbye to his two best friends in the world: Big Red and Nini. Every so often, they would talk to each other on the phone for the first year but by the second, all it was was an obligatory like on instagram and occasional awkard comment. He'd never really made any new friends in Chicago, he couldn't help but compare them to his friends back in Utah, although he wasn't sure if they were even friends anymore, no one else even came close. The perpetual flight dwindled to an end eventually and soon he was meeting his smiling dad at the gate.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you buddy." Mike grinned as he pulled his son as close as possible. 

"Dad, you saw me at easter" Ricky laughed as he dropped his stuff to the floor, 

"It's july, it's been too long, I'm so glad you're back."

"Me too Dad," Ricky smiled as they picked up the bags together, 

"If you're wondering Ricky, she doesn't know you're coming back" Mike smirked, seeing the tell-tell look on his son's face. It was his nini look, it was halfway between a smile, blush and blink. It was... unique to say the least. 

"That wasn't what I was thinking at all. Actually, I was gonna ask, is big red... still red?" Ricky panicked, trying to cover up his blush. Mike just laughed and put his arm around his son and he wasn't going to let go for as long as he could. "But seriously, thank you for letting me come home Dad. Mom and Todd... they're having a baby and I couldn't be there." Mike shared a sad smile but said nothing. They clambered into the car, now filled with luggage, and drove home. 

They pulled up ouside the house, and for the first time in three years, Ricky was home. Actually home. 

"Oh Rick, I forgot to tell you we're going for dinner tonight. At the Salazar-Roberts's" Mike announced before dashing into the house with most of Ricky's stuff, leaving confused on the doorstep. Ricky started to mentally prepare himself for seeing Nini properly, he couldn't wait to tell her he was finally home. He couldn't wait to tell her he loved her. But he wouldn't have to wait long, because as fate would have it, the very girl he'd been thinking about for three years left the house across the street. He started jogging towards her yelling her name. She turned around startled, then suddenly, a mixture of shock, recognition, joy and not to mention confusion flashed across her face in an instant. The emotions alternated like Christmas lights on a tree. He stopped on the pavement in front of the house, not wanting to overstep his boundaries. He beamed, staring at her. 

"Ricky?" Her voice cracked with emotions she couldn't identify let alone control. Forgetting where she was, who she was with, she dashed to meet him and threw herself into his arms. He scooped her up and span her around causing her to giggle in delight. She held onto his face, scanning it in disbelief, "I never thought I'd see you again" he shrugged nonchalantly and pulled her back into another hug. A loud cough interrupted this reunion, and suddenly she remembered. "Umm EJ this is Ricky, my best friend from when I was younger, he moved away a couple years ago but I guess now he's back. Ricky this is EJ... my boyfriend" His heart shattered into a billion fractured peices as she uttered those two dreaded syllables. Boyfriend. Of course she has a boyfriend, why wouldn't she? She's perfect, any guy would be lucky to be with her. Awkward energy threatened to suffocate the small group, in a panic all Ricky could think of was:

"Cool" 

Cool? Oh God Ricky, you're screwed. I guess the whole proffess your love thing has gone down the drain. Well I guess now it's unrequited love, how cryptic. "Well, I should probably go suprise Red, he doesn't know I'm back yet. Have f-fun you two, it was nice meeting you EJ and I'll see you later Nini" he murmured as he speed-walked away from there as soon as possible. 

"Later?" He heard EJ shout in outrage at Nini, "What are you guys going on a date or something?" Ricky winced, knowing that situation was his fault. 

A couple hours later, he was standing stagnant at the door, in his classic red and yellow hoodie with a small bouquet of flowers for Nini's moms. He'd just been to see Big Red, his reaction wasn't as dramatic but still, it was the best feeling to see him again. They had already made plans for the next day. Everything was falling back into place, it was like the tumble dryer had finally stopped it's seemingly perpetual spinning.

"Ricky! It's so good to see you kiddo, we've missed you." Dana smiled as he pulled him into a group hug with her and her wife. "Aw these flowers are beautiful, I'll go put them in water."

"Nini's upstairs, remember where it is?" Carol joked to Ricky, before he'd left, Ricky had gone up those stairs at least once a day. 

"I'm not sure, but I'll find my way. Hope I don't get lost" Ricky replied with the same smile, 

Knocking gingerly on the door of the room he knew so well, he peered his head around the door. Nini was lying on her back, immersed in the music travelling through her headphones. He subtly crept in, lay down next to her and took one of her headphone earbuds for himself. 

"Good song, is that still your favourite? I remember you and Kourtney used to sing it together when you were little." Nini  nodded, she was oddly subdued usually she would start nattering on about something or other. Was it possible she'd changed since he left, the vey notion terrified him. If there was once constant he could count on, it was Nini... and her smile. 

"Listen Ricky, I'll tell you the truth. EJ doesn't want me talking to you because he's scared I'll leave him for you." She sighed with exhasperation, and all though he hurt him to say it he did what was necessary for Nini to be happy, and he could tell she was happy with this EJ guy.

"If you want, I can tell him we're only best friends. Nothing more, never will be anything more, never have been anything else." She looked up at him, trying to work out if that would help or simply worsen the situation. "Or," he grimaced "I could stop talking to you completely, only see you when our families have dinner." She turned to face him then turned his face so they were inches away from each other. Grabbing his hand she assured him, 

"That is not what I want, I just got you back and I'm not giving you up any time soon. EJ will just have to deal. You came first" He tried to supress his delight, but she knew exactly what to say to ease him out of an anxious state. They strolled down to dinner hand in hand, it was like the old days, only Ricky was a couple inches taller. And of course, now Nini  had a new boyfriend that hated Ricky and didn't want Nini to talk to him. But Ricky didn't care, as far as she was aware, he still had his best friend by his side and that's what mattered.