six. (taste buds)

SIX | "pinky promises should be taken seriously"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   BURSTING through the gate to Murphy's cell, Nova appears with a wide smile, her torch in one hand and something secret for him behind her back in the other hand

BURSTING through the gate to Murphy's cell, Nova appears with a wide smile, her torch in one hand and something secret for him behind her back in the other hand. "Chin up, buttercup. I'm back!"

   Murphy blankly stares at her, bemused by her random burst of energy. He's never seen the girl so full of life since she's been visiting him. Unsure of what to say, he responds with the only thing he knows: sarcasm.

"Ah, my favourite person. I was just counting down the seconds till I saw you again."

"That lonely, huh?" Nova taunts, the hint of a smirk on her face as she sets the torch on its hook and sits opposite Murphy. "Anyway, I've got a surprise for you."

"A strip tease?"

She tilts her head and holds in a laugh, not surprised in the slightest at his comment.

   "Oh, you wish. No, I brought you these." She holds out her hands from behind her back, showing two bowls of fruit. "They're wild berries. Not very exciting, but I thought you probably wouldn't have had these in space so..."

Murphy's eyes widen. He's been dying to have something other than the bland and minimal food his captors force him to eat, and the food Nova's been bringing him was getting tedious. Even from the very little amount of light the torch gives off, he can see how tasty the berries look and his face lights up. As soon as Nova places the fruit down, he starts eating. A couple of groans escape his mouth, his taste buds craving the new sensation, and she chuckles at his lack of restraint. Murphy won't admit it but he's thankful for this little gesture.

   "These..." he mumbles in between chewing, "are the best things...to ever exist."

"Right? My friend is the only one that can find the good berries. I'm useless." Nova smiles at the mention of Harlo. Truth be told, he's known as the best berry picker in the village and Nova can attest to that.

"You've told people about coming here?"

"Only one of my closest friends. I can trust him with anything. My other friend, however, is a different story," she informs him, shaking her head.

Murphy cocks his brow, intrigued. He still doesn't know much about her, so he's curious.

"Why's that?"

"Let's just say she's very loyal. But she never used to be," she says. Nova contemplates carrying on with the story for a second and soon decides it won't do any harm.

"A couple years ago, she had a secret relationship with a guy from another clan. It's majorly frowned upon to even speak to someone that's not apart of your group, but she risked it knowing the consequences. Things are changing now, but it takes time to change attitudes. People eventually found out and she was given an ultimatum: be cast out, or become our leader's eyes and ears. She has to report anything she sees that's against the rules, or she's essentially left for dead."