XXVII

It took forever to pack my stuff. I didn't want to go; this was probably the best time I'd had in a long time, even though Harry was a jerk for most of it.

I threw my clothes in at random, not necessarily caring if they were folded or not.

A light knock came at my door, and I called, “Come in!"

I heard it slowly open, and then Harry's voice said, “Clara?"

I was in the closet, collecting my clothes, so he couldn't see me.

“In here!" I answered, smirking at the bewildered tone of his voice.

He poked his head into the closet, then entered fully, picking up my clothes, folding them nicely, and setting them into my suitcase. He gave me a look, gesturing to the clothes that were half hanging out.

“Would you like some help?" he questioned.

I sighed morosely. “I guess."

Harry began folding clothes, and I joined in. We folded in silence, until all my clothes were packed away and I couldn't stall anymore.

“Uh." Harry scratched the back of his head. “Should we get going, then?"

I opened my mouth to speak when my phone started ringing. I frowned, pulling it out and answering. “Hello?"

“Clara, hi!" It was Amy, the person I babysat for as well. “You're still available today, right?"

“Oh, um, yeah," I replied. I had forgotten about them, to be honest. “I'm just finishing up another house, and then I'll be there as soon as I can."

“Okay! See you soon!"

I hung up, setting the phone down on the ground.

“Who was that?" Harry asked curiously.

“Just some other people I babysit for," I answered. “We have to leave soon, though. I'm supposed to babysit for them today."

Harry nodded, picking up my suitcase. He exited the closet, dragging my stuff behind him.

I followed, stopping to take one last look around the room. I'd be going back to my own bedroom tonight, and it felt weird. I had quickly adapted to this room, and it feel like it belonged to me. Sighing, I walked slowly to the door, taking in every aspect of the room before opening and closing the door behind me.

“You alright?" Harry asked me as we headed to the car.

“Uh, yeah," I said, shaking my head slightly to. “Sorry. I'm just… really going to miss this place."

He smiled softly. “You're always welcome here, you know."

I smiled as well. “Thanks. Now, hurry up and take me home before I start crying."

The ride home was silent, but it wasn't super uncomfortable. Harry held my hand, squeezing it reassuringly every now and then.

He pulled into my lane way, stopping the car and bringing my luggage up to the door.

“So, this is it?" I asked after we stood on the front porch for a bit.

“Do you want this to be it?" he responded, taking my hand in his.

I exhaled, leaning my head against his chest. “No," I admitted. I puffed my cheeks out. “I just… I don't know. I'm not sure how it'll work out and all."

I pulled away, picking up my bags. Harry pursed his lips before digging out a piece of paper and pressing it into my hand.

“I hope you'll use it," he replied, giving me a sly smile before heading back to his car and pulling away.

I opened the door with difficulty, dragging my luggage to my room and dumping it on the ground. I flopped onto the bed, checking the piece of paper Harry had given me.

It was his number.

A giddy smile overtook my face as I quickly typed it into my phone. I then remembered that I had to babysit for Amy, so, groaning, I made myself get up. My parents were both gone, surprise surprise, so I walked over. Amy was getting ready once she opened the door.

“Oh, hello, Clara," she said brightly, stepping aside to allow me to enter. “I think we should be back around dinner time, although it depends on traffic, you know."

I smiled. “No worries, you can stay out as long as you want."

Amy smiled, relieved. “That's good." She turned her head, calling out over her shoulder, “Mason! Olivia! Clara's here!"

I heard their tiny feet patter across the wooden floors, and soon they entered the foyer, latching themselves onto my legs. I nearly fell, grabbing onto the doorframe to keep steady.

Amy grabbed her purse and, along with her husband Mark, bid their goodbyes and headed out.

Mason and Olivia pulled me into the living room, and I prepared myself for a night full of no Harry.

~~

sorry I suck