XXVI

I awoke on the couch, one arm dangling over the edge and the other laying over my head. I groggily sat up, rubbing my eyes.

Harry was passed out on the chair, his head lolled back. Soft snores emitted his mouth, and I smiled at how cute he looked, just sleeping there.

The home screen on X-Men First Class was still up on the TV, playing on a loop. I stood up and turned it off, before heading to the kitchen. I wasn't sure what to make so I just grabbed some cereal and poured it into a bowl.

While I was in the middle of eating, my phone rang. Groaning, I fished it out of my pocket and pressed answer.

“Hello?" I asked, yawning.

“Clara Elliot?" the other voice asked.

“That's me," I responded, stirring my cereal up. The voice sounded oddly familiar, but I couldn't put a name to it.

“Oh, hello," the feminine voice responded. “It's Dr. Jones."

“Oh, hey," I said. “Is anything wrong with Anne?" I was a bit worried.

“No, no," she assured me. “It's the opposite, actually. I think she's ready to go home, but she doesn't want to drive home. I was wondering if you or Harry could give her a ride."

“Of course I will," I said, beginning to quickly eat my food so I would have a somewhat full stomach before heading out.

“Perfect! Thanks!"

“No problem," I responded, finishing my cereal and chugging my milk down. I made awkward gurgling sounds that probably sounded like I was drowning or something.

“Um…?" Dr. Jones said hesitantly. “Are you alright?"

“Yep," I gasped, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. “Perfectly fine, no worries. Do you want me to come get Anne now?"

“Yes, if you can," she replied. “I'll see you soon." Then she hung up.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket before grabbing my bowl and spoon and practically throwing them into the sink. I headed out of the kitchen, catching a glimpse of still-asleep-Harry. He had moved so that he was lying on his side now, his legs pulled up to his chest. I sneakily snapped a picture, laughing to myself at how awkward yet somehow comfortable he looked.

I slipped into a random pair of shoes, which I luckily didn't have to do up, thankfully. I snatched my keys before heading out to Harry's car. I started up the vehicle, backing out of the vehicle, and then I drove to the hospital.

I had luckily fallen asleep in jeans and a t-shirt, so I didn't look too bad as I pulled into the parking lot. I ran a hand through my hair to make sure it wasn't too messy, and then headed into the hospital.

I made it to Anne's room without getting lost, which was surprising, considering I got lost in my own house sometimes, and it wasn't even big.

“I'm here!" I announced, flinging open the room door.

“Perfect." Dr. Jones stood up from her chair, smiling fondly at me. “Now, a few things before you go." She told me about the things Anne could do, the things she shouldn't do, and the things she absolutely could not do. While I nodded, trying to absorb all the information, Dr. Jones handed me some drugs that Anne should take if she complains about anything hurting. Then, I was allowed to leave, Anne trailing along behind me.

The ride home was a little awkward. Anne seemed pretty paranoid, but I didn't blame her considering that a car landed her in the hospital in the first place.

“So," I said, cringing when I realized I had made her jump. “How was your, er, business trip?"

She brightened immediately. “It was absolutely wonderful."