2: Study Partner

"Greetings, My Prince, may this humble subject request for His Highness' time?"

The ten years old prince, Res Hullja Gerevel halted his action of swinging his sword against his opponent while the latter immediately back down and bowed.

Prince Res sheathed his sword while the maid who stood at a good distance hurriedly offered a clean towel as she bowed towards him.

"What is it?"

Prince Res turned and glance at the middle aged man who respectfully bowed at him, beside him stood a thin and frail looking boy whose face he couldn't see as the boy drop a formal curtsy at him.

"His Majesty, the king, ordered this subject to introduce this young boy as Your Highness new study partner"

A lazy smirk formed on the prince's face.

"My what?"

The servant bowed more deeply as he maintained proper decorum.

"Your Highness' new study partner"

"My study partner, you say"

"Yes, Your Highness"

Cynthia who's currently dressed as a boy to pose as her twin brother suddenly felt a cold hard object on her chin as it made her raised her head.

Stunning platinum pair of eyes greeted her sight as she now faced the renowned gentle and always smiling prince of the most powerful country.

"Violet eyes, how rare"

"He's a prince from the Orinna kingdom, Your Highness"

"Ahh. No wonder"

The middle aged man made a sound by clearing his throat as he gave a meaningful glance at the little boy beside him.

Taking that hint, Cynthia immediately formally introduced herself as she move away her sight from those pair of metallic silver eyes.

"This humble one is called Cyde, Your Highness"

This simple statement of Cynthia clearly showed what status does a prince of a neighboring country hold in this powerful land. Though her twin brother who should had been here has a title of prince in Orinna kingdom, it neither held any significance nor power as Cynthia's standing could also be compared as a servant—if not lower.

"Follow me"

Hearing that brief command, Cynthia immediately followed closely behind the boy who was only three years older than her yet the difference in their height were enormous as she barely reached his chest.

Unbeknownst to Cynthia, Res was quietly observing her as they walk in a long massive corridor.

"Here, read this"

As soon as they entered a room full of books, Res swiftly took an ancient looking thick book and gave it to the little boy standing beside him who has an expression of puzzlement clearly written on his face.

Res' brow arched, "What are looking at?"

Cynthia blinked twice upon hearing that calm question.

"My apologies Your Highness, I meant no disrespect"

Cynthia hastily bowed, afraid of offending and angering the person in front of her.

"Mhm"

Cynthia felt relieved when Res dismissed it with ease, however when she gaze at the book in her hands again, she felt conflicted and scared again.

"What's wrong?"

Res was fast to notice the flash of worry and fear that passed in Cynthia's pair of big clear violet eyes.

"I...do not know how...to read"

Her small voice confessed with a quiver.

Cynthia's tiny form trembled at the impending consequence of her incompetence.

Though she was an eldest princess at home, she was treated as nothing but a tool—and tool doesn't need to be smart as her only option was complete obedience.

Having a smart tool can prove to be troublesome as she could have an opinion of her own and question her elder's orders.

Res was slightly taken aback.

This was the first time he would have a study partner who couldn't read.

Everyone who became his study partner in the past was all literate and knowledgeable...but he soon lost interest and got bored as their capabilities didn't match his.

The lack of challenge and thrill made him dismissed and reject them from coming back to the palace.

"Mhm...so that old man used a different approach, huh"

Cynthia heard him muttered calmly.

She didn't understand the meaning of his words and was baffled as to why he was not angry for her uselessness as his study partner.

Seeing her bewilderment, the corner of Res' lips lifted.

"You don't have to be so stiff. I guess having you wouldn't be so bad"