Wonder (Natasha Romanoff)

Hi guys! So I always had random ideas when I read some poems and I would like to try it out. Do let me know and Enjoy!

This poem is 'Wonder' by Lang Leav from the book "Love looks pretty on you"

"Hey mum, could you pass me that box?"

Your mum: "Sure thing honey."

You were cleaning the attic with your mum and boy did you keep so many things. Your mum joked that the attic might as well be your second room. You opened the box and started looking through. That's when you saw it. A red envelope with the words 'I'll see you soon.' written in a neat cursive.

You: "Mum, could you excuse me for a while? I need to go do...something."

Your mum: "Alright sweetie, just be back to help."

You: "Yea, sure thing."

You rushed back to your room and closed the door. You laid the envelope on the bed and stared at it. You knew what it contained but you weren't sure whether you want to open it. Eventually, you caved in, with trembling hands you carefully unsealed the envelope.

A photo and a note dropped out. You unfolded the note and read it. It was nothing much. Just who it's to and who it's from. As you read the note, you could hear her voice of someone you once loved.

Flashback...

You were walking around the carnival while waiting for your boyfriend to arrive when you bumped into someone.

You: "Sorry, I didn't see you there."

"It's alright, I didn't see where I was going too."

And both of you parted ways. The next time you saw her again was when your boyfriend went to the washroom and you were playing at a booth.

You: "Oh hey, you're the person I bumped into just now!"

She laughed.

"Good to know I leave an impression."

You: "Most people, when they come to carnivals, they aren't reading books."

You pointed to the book in her hands.

"It's interesting. It gives reading a different feel."

You: "Poetry?"

"There's something about finding what you read in books and watch it with your own eyes. Poetry are usually the closest to those hidden thoughts and messages."

You: "That's...deep. If we are going to carry on chatting, we should introduce ourselves. I'm (Y/N)."

"Natasha."

You: "So Natasha, what poem are you on now?"

Natasha: "This page poem is called Wonder. Do-"

"Hey babe, who's this?"

You looked up and saw your boyfriend, hand around your waist.

You: "A friend."

You pushed his hand off your waist and let it drop.

Natasha: "Well, enjoy your date."

With that, she walked away from the booth, lost in her world again.

You had returned home that day and searched for the poem 'Wonder'. You smiled to yourself as you read it.

You: "That's cute. She's cute. Wait- no I shouldn't be thinking of her that way. Damn it."

You found your thoughts trailing back to that short interaction. That's when you made up your mind. You took your coat and rushed out. When you reached the carnival, you moved around hoping that she was there. You went to the booth where you bumped into her the second time. 

You: *leans over the counter* "Hi, sorry to disturb but did you see someone with red hair and green eyes earlier?"

Stall tender: "The girl that was with you just now?"

You: *surprised* "Yea, her..."

Stall tender: *takes something out* "She told me to pass this to you if you came again."

You: *takes it* "Well, thanks."

You held the envelope in your hands and went to a corner. Your fingers touched the words written on it and you opened the envelope. Inside was a note and picture.

To: (Y/N)

Hi, you probably was not expecting this letter. I don't even know why I'm writing it. The odds of you returning are low. I'm sure you have seen the picture. My friend snapped a photo of us without telling me . I thought that maybe you would like to see it. 

When we last talked, I mentioned the poem 'Wonder' to you. Did you managed to look it up? All I wanted to say is that you seemed really nice and maybe we could bump into each other again.

- Natasha

Once you were done reading the letter, you looked at the picture. Both of you were talking to each other. Natasha was saying something and you looked in awe of her. You couldn't help but giggle. You looked at the last sentence again. 

Maybe.

You sighed, you certainly wondered how different it would have been if you bumped into her again. You never did. Never tried. You placed the picture on your table and threw the note in the fireplace. You watch the note slowly turn into ash. And you walked back to the attic.

Wonder

The first thing you sent me were fireworks. Sparks of light and color over a bridge to nowhere. I was already in love when we met that summer; I belonged to someone else. To make room for you, I had to ask the world for permission, but every answer was a dead end. But who am I to blame them for telling me what I already knew.

So I danced around you like a storm, white light against the cool black sky, like strobe lights flickering on and off. I said we could be something, you and me. I said so much and meant it, but never proved it to you, did I? We both know what my word was worth, you and me both.

You took my hand under a Ferris wheel, spitting lights, spinning lies. You dazzled me, you know. You were incandescent. I don't think we could have been anything, not really. But isn't it something to wonder?