24. Demons And Ghosts (7)

Start from the beginning

When He Xiang visited the villages and towns along the rivers, she fell in love with the beauty of it.

When she arrived in Shuyi, she immediately bought a beautiful residence using her savings, close to a flowing creek. Normally, strangers like the three of them would not be able to settle down that quickly, but Man Zui managed to strike a friendship with the simple Local Magistrate. The paper-works and handover of the residence was done pretty quickly.

About one year after settling down, they had completely integrated with the idyllic life at Shuyi. No one else apart from Man Zui and Xiao Yang knew of He Xiang's colorful past, and she already made quite a few friends with the town's womenfolk. They even taught her their folk song, and she was quite fond of it. As an ex-courtesan, she had a beautiful singing voice. With her friends, they would laugh and sing by the river.

[Land loved by the gods; sky is the heaven.]

[Earth is where we rest; Wind guides our paths; Fire lights our passage; Water is timeless.]

[Water gives birth to everything; water ends everything.]

[Water knows all; water forgives all.]

[Memories from time immemorial, water holds record.]

[Memories from time immemorial, water bears witness.]

[Memories from time immemorial, water will not forget.]

With a loving man and a good brother by her side everyday, He Xiang thought the heavens had blessed her so much. She did not care if they were to do nothing throughout their lives and idly live on her money; she had saved all her life for this kind of precious moments, hadn't she?

Then Xiao Yang proposed to open a small tavern, between Xinlu city and Shuyi. A small tavern did not need any government's approval and Xiao Yang said it would do them good to help wary travelers by providing them refreshment and simple accommodation. Because He Xiang had grown fond of this young man, she spared a few silvers to get the tavern built. Soon, for a few sporadic weeks during colder seasons in autumn and winter, Man Zui and Xiao Yang would operate the tavern. When both men returned home, they would bring trinkets they bought from Xinlu City and some earnings.

He Xiang knew, despite not having said anything, Man Zui was quite proud for being able to earn a little for the household, thus she was truly happy for him and let the two men keep operating the tavern.

Time passed, the both of them were still as loving as the first time they had kissed each other. The heaven blessed them both and must have forgiven their past sins. Xiao Yang was a pretty good cook and was normally in charge of the family's meals.

One day, He Xiang was chatting with some women by the river. All of a sudden, she grew nauseous and practically vomited into the river. The women were initially scared out of their wits, then their faces grew hopeful. They all knew He Xiang and Man Zui had been a loving couple for more than two years and had not been blessed with a child.

The town's physician confirmed her pregnancy.

When Man Zui heard about it, he was dumbstruck. He put his hand on her barely-protruding belly and murmured, "No wonder I thought you've grown more plump lately." He was immediately bestowed by a couple of hits. Man Zui laughed and kissed her.

"Do you want this child?" His gaze was hopeful, He Xiang could not bear to hit him anymore. She nodded and gave him a beautiful smile.

"I thought I had been completely barren. My period had been irregular after my... last abortion. I didn't think I'd be given the chance to become a mother," she grabbed onto Xiao Yang's wrists, squeezing them in gratitude, "It must have been Xiao Yang's nutritious meals that has healed me. Thank you, Xiao Yang."