Chapter Two

"That's impossible!" I say.

"No, not impossible, just extremely rare. They call it Divergent." Tori states. "You cannot tell anyone about this not even your parents."

"Then what faction am I suppose to choose? The test was suppose to tell me what to do!"

"The test didn't work on you!" Tori sternly says. "You just need to pick the best faction that won't suspect your talent. Come on you need to leave before someone comes in."

————————————————————————
I walk slowly back to my house in Abnegation.

I'm divergent, I'm not like the rest.

I open the front door slowly and my mom immediately walks towards me.

"Why are you home? You should still be taking your test!" She says.

"The serum made me sick so they sent me home." I state.

My mom lets out a sigh and comes over to hug me.
————————————————————————
"Why did you leave?" Caleb asks as he walks into the kitchen.

"I got sick so they sent me home." I say.

"Did you finish your test?" Caleb questions.

"Mhm" I mumble.

"What were your results?" He asks.

"What was yours." I ask with a smile.
————————————————————————
Caleb and I finished making dinner and we all sat down to eat. Caleb was going on and on about the ceremony tomorrow but I don't say much.

"So why did you leave today Beatrice?" My father questions.

"I was sick." I state looking down at my food.

"Why wouldn't you tell anyone?" He asks.

I just shrug my shoulders.

"You have to be careful." He states. "Erudite is after us."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"They believe they should be in charge of the system." My mom says.

"They want to take over." My father adds.

"Can they do that?" I questions.

"Oh course not." My mom smiles.

"Why would they want to?" I say.

"It's because of Marcus." My dad says. "Apparently he abused his son."

"Did he?" I ask.

"Of course not." My mom says.
————————————————————————
Once dinner was over I cleared off the table and Caleb began to wash the dishes. He hasn't really said much since our father mentioned the Erudite's. Maybe that's what he got for his test?

Just as we were about to finish our parents walk in. My father seems kinda stiff, like he's holding something back.

"We just wanted to tell you two, no matter what happens tomorrow we are proud." He says embracing Caleb into a hug.

My mom comes up to me and hugs me.

"I'm proud of you no matter what." She whispers into my ear.

I walk slowly to my room and close the door. There is no way I'm getting sleep tonight, the choosing ceremony is on my mind.

What will I pick?

Where do I belong?

What if someone finds out?

These thoughts run through my head. It makes me sick to my stomach. I'm so nervous about the ceremony.
————————————————————————
We make our way towards the building, the building where I determine the rest of my life's decisions. We arrive at the building and my parents lead me and Caleb to where the Abnegation sit. That's when someone calls out for my father.

"Andrew Prior."

I turn my head quickly and see a blond haired lady walking towards our family.

"Hello Jeanine." My father nods.

"How's Marcus?" She asks somewhat concerned.

"He's fine. We just want to get behind all of these rumors." He adds.

"Yes, I would like the know who's starting them as well." She states.

"I think we know." My mom adds with an attitude.

"If it's someone from Erudite it will be addressed immediately." She says. "These must be your children. I didn't know they were picking today."

"I'm Caleb, it's a pleasure to meet you." Caleb smiles while shaking her hand.

"And you are?" She says looking at me.

"This is Beatrice." Caleb says.

I smile then look down towards the ground.

"You both have a very important decision to make today." Jeanine says.

"I mean, the test is suppose to tell us which faction we belong in." I state.

"Ah yes, but I want you to choose who you think you are, regardless of your results." She smiles.

My father talks to Jeanine for a little longer and we make our way to our seats. Almost everyone is here and the ceremony is packed.

Jeanine starts off with a speech about the faction systems, their importance, and the importance about our choice. Marcus comes up after. He says he'll be announcing.

I look over towards my mom who seems focused but notices my stare. She reaches out towards my hand and grasps it firmly.

"I love you no matter what."

I zone out most of the ceremony until Caleb is called. He looks around the room and walks over towards the bowls, the bowls with all the factions. That's when I hear it.

Erudite

Everyone in the room gasps and even some glance over towards my father. Why would he do that? We were just talking about Erudite last night.

Beatrice Prior

My heart begins to pump as I stand to my feet. Everyone is staring at me. I walk up towards the bowls and scan them all. I pick up the knife to cut my hand. It stings for a second but soon my hand is over the Abnegation bowl.

Is this what I want?

I feel the drop of blood about drip and I quickly  move it over to the Dauntless bowl. My blood hits and sizzles.

Dauntless
————————————————————————