- 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖔𝖓𝖊

[ read in black ]

WESTCHESTER, OREGONMONDAY, 8:32 AM

WESTCHESTER, OREGON
MONDAY, 8:32 AM

OUT OF NOWHERE, Demi sprung up, inhaling air that was missing from her lungs. This wasn't a cliché teenage movie, she wasn't waking up with long lashes and make-up done, looking through her curtains and admiring the beauty of the early morning. No, Demi woke up looking like a person who just got out of a mental institution, she was practically soaking from the sweat, her hair all tangled up and she was breathing too fast for someone with some sanity left.

She took in her surroundings and saw she was safe in her room, nobody around, the window closed and it was morning. The first day of school was about to start. Everything was blurry, but she saw enough to be able to tell that the horrendous creature wasn't there and it wasn't wearing Dan's face. She was safe and she could breathe freely.

She rose from her bed, removing the now sweaty and smelly sheets from her body and she took a good look out of the window, her gaze falling onto the woods next to her house. It was day, everything was clear and nothing was there, except the big, long trees and a bunch of plants. And of course, occasional animals could be spotted running through the grass.

When she took a look around her room, the only thing different was the lights that were still on, but she brushed it off. She was forgetful sometimes anyways, this wasn't weird. The dream, or to be exact the nightmare, felt so real. She could still feel the pain and the fear, she could still see the imposter's face peeling off and hear his growls.

"What a messed up dream..." She sighed, running her hands through her brown and tangled hair, looking at her pale skin in the mirror. Panic could still be seen in her eyes and her mouth was dry from the screaming, probably. She was now watching intently at her rising and falling chest, just to make sure she was breathing, and then she put a hand on her chest to feel her own heart beating. It was strangely comforting, feeling her heartbeat.

But a realization hit her as she focused on her arms and neck in the mirror. She felt an aching pain in her limp wrist and saw the bruises and scratches on her arms. There were clear purple marks on her neck indicating someone choked her. Now, she was thoroughly and completely confused and her mind was running wild. Was her dream actually real?

"No way...this can't be happening..." Demi stared in disbelief, fingers brushing over the bruises.

Then she grabbed her phone to check if there were text messages from last night only to find out her battery was dead. She cursed herself for not charging it when she should. She needed proof that this wasn't a dream. She needed to know. The girl was beyond frustrated with her forgetful mind and with a sigh tossed the phone into her school bag, promising herself she'll charge it there.