Writers Games; Alliances - Task 2 (Jet Flash)

Title: Can I trust you? (Jet Flash-District 1)

Word Count: 1116

Competition/Contest Name: Writers Games; Alliances 

Genre: Action

No. of Pages: 2

By: ScarlettDragone

-----------------------------------------------------

I sighed and pulled the blankets closer around me. Something about that woman, Occisora, seemed very familiar. In fact, almost warm and welcoming. While my brain screamed at me about her evil and the cold, murderous intent that surrounded her, my heart felt warmth from her. It made no sense and had lodged itself into my mind.

Evie moaned softly in her sleep, causing me to chuckle. As long as Evie was fine, none of this would matter. I will win and protect Evie. That's all that matters.

“No,” Evie muttered, tossing beside me, “No, Stop! Jet. No!”

Worried, I shook her awake. She rubbed her eyes, scared and shaken. As she looked up at me, she suddenly burst into tears, wrapping her arms around my chest.

“Jet!” she cried, burying her face into my shirt, “Don't ever leave me. Don't go. Don't leave Evie alone!”

Wrapping my own arms around her, I whispered into her ear.

“I wont leave you by yourself forever,” I promised, “But, I need to go and fight. It wont be for long and I'll come back. I pinky swear.”

Evie hooked her pinky around mine and together we chanted,

“Pinky swear, pinky swear,

That you'll always be there,

I'll never dare, never dare,

To break the pinky swear.”

Collapsing in a fit of giggles, we lay back down under the covers. Holding my sister tight, I finally fell asleep.

-------------

The tube boosted me upwards, stopping when I had reached a large room. After a quick scan, I noted that there was no cornucopia. So far, so good. No weapons, hopefully no killings. The colours of black and silver filled the room with a strange effect of death. Not very pleasant. At least, for other people. I, however, enjoyed the feeling of danger.

Sprinting to the end of the room, I found three wide metal doors. From what I could tell, it was impossible to damage with just fists and kicks. On each side of the door, there was a single button. Above the door, a sign read, 'PRESS BUTTON TO ENTER'.

Retreating into a corner for the time being, more tributes arrived. Some of them tried clicking a button one after the other. Soon, it became obvious that for this task we'd have to create temporary alliances if we wanted to pass.

Walking back down the character, I started to 'read' the tributes I walked by. None of them where what I was looking for. More people passed, gritting their teeth, avoiding each other.

“Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!” I heard someone cry.

Running towards the source of sound, I found a female tribute struggling on the floor. Another tribute was on top of her, hands clutched around the other tribute's neck. Turning on my heel, the cry morphed into the sound of Evie's moans.

"Damn it!" I cursed under my breath, turning back.

Sprinting over, I attacked the tribute with a chick sending them flying. Before I could get a proper look at their face, they scampered off. I thought of going after them, but something about the tribute on the floor drew me in.

I offered her my hand and she took it, stumbling to her feet. I studied her carefully as she regained her breath.

"Thanks!" she panted.

According to my calculations, she seemed cunning and trusting. Her purple eyes told me she was always planning ahead. Like me. She could be a valuable temporary team member. However, if needed, I could easily dispose of her.

"Don't go thinking I'll help you out again," I told her in my cold voice, "You and I are teaming up. Don't get any ideas that you're special either. You just seemed like someone agreeable and anyways, I need someone else to help me through the door."

I needed to make this clear to everyone. Especially her. If she was going to be on my 'team' she would need to play by the rules I lay out.

Her eyes floated up and down my body, scanning me. As I thought, she was cunning, checking whether I was a danger or a comrade. When she seemed to come to a conclusion, she extended her arm.

"Ki," she introduced, "Ki Jepto."

I shook her hand and introduced myself. Something brushed against my skin and I looked down, noting the ring she wore on her hand. Somehow it looked a bit like mine....

Pulling my hand back, I turned and led the way towards the doors, Ki following behind me. Good. She trusts me enough already to not question my actions. She really is valuable.

-------------

Reaching the doors, it dawned on Ki why I needed her. It was funny, how her eyes lit up with knowledge. I had made a good choice of comrade.

That reminded me, it would be more efficient to have another team member. When we pass through the door, there is a huge possibility that there will be another 'stage'. This means that this would be the first level. Maybe the next level would require more people to pass it.

My eyes wondered the room, looking for someone who didn't have anyone at the moment. A short, lone girl who stood alone seemed perfect, so I strolled over to her. Her name was Evelyn, and she looked the complete opposite of everyone in her district. Interesting.

Ki also begged for her district partner to join our group. Reluctantly, I accepted him into our team, yet I didn't like him one bit. He didn't trust me at all. I could tell through his eye.

According to my plans, we easily passed through the door and into another room. Before us was, yet again, another door. The button in the center of the room opened the door for the amount of time it was pressed. I volunteered to go first, so if there were any traps, I wouldn't have to deal with them amd have to also look after my 'teammates'.

The button was pressed and I slipped through. Apart from a button on the wall, it was a clear run to the exit. I could leave easily. I set off, down the corridor to the end but a voice echoed in my mind.

"Don't ever leave me, Jet!" I head Evie whine.

I turned around, grimacing. Should I turn back? But they are irrelevant. They can get out anyway. There are still three of them.

Evie's voice whined again and I growled. I clicked the button and the others came through.

Why am I doing this?

What's wrong with me?