RSD IV - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Welcome to a World Full of Doubt

Prompts used (quote number): #1 #2 #7 #9 #11

Word count: 1564

Hana's eyes snapped open. She was no longer heavily panting and the dark abyss they had fallen into had transformed into a wild forest. Relieved that her husband was just unconscious and not in any state worse than that, she hugged her legs to her chest.

Pictures from the car crash re-winded and played over and over. It should be impossible for her to be alive. She should have scars if the resort had performed emergency operations or something of the like. But, there was nothing. No red marks, no stitches. Nothing.

However, there was something  else bugging her. The phone call that caused the crash.

Travis wasn't one to keep secrets from her. Who would be calling Travis that she didn't know? Why would he prevent her from answering on his behalf?

Hana shivered, trying to push away the dark thoughts that threatened her mind. Travis was faithful. He loved her. He should love her. That's why they were married! Right? Right...?

The worried wife, searched her husbands pockets. No hope. He must have left the phone in their room. A gentle breeze rustled the overhanging leaves. Travis stirred.

As his eyes opened, he bolted upright, alert.

"Hana?" Travis bit his lip, "Are we safe?"

Hana forced a smile on her face and nodded.

"Well, we better find our way back to the hotel," Travis said, pulling himself to his feet.

Looking down, Hana sighed inwardly. How could she doubt her husband like that? He loved her.

"Is something wrong, honey?" Travis asked, concerned.

Hana smiled and pushed the question to the back of her head.

"Nothing!" she chimed, wrapping her arm around his, "Let's go!"

-------------

The couple adventured through the numerous trees but even after a full hour of walking, they found no exit. Exhausted, hungry and thirsty, the two sat down to rest. It was during this resting period that they realized the queer events that had just happened.

"This place isn't normal," Travis groaned, head in hands.

Hana halfheartedly murmured in agreement. She still couldn't let go of the wild delusions of the mysterious caller. She needed to know.

"I mean, come one?" Travis continued, "Magic? Fairy tale characters? Who's going to show up next? Jeff the Killer? Little Miss Muffet?"

Branches and leaves danced in sync with the passing breeze. Again, Hana clasped her knees to her chest. It was a bad habit of hers that appeared when she was worried. A bad habit Travis new all too well about.

"Hana," Travis whispered, anxiously, "What is it? What's wrong?"

Hana hung her head and mumbled something inaudible to Travis' ears.

"What was that?" Travis asked.

"The phone," Hana muttered.

"The phone?" Travis echoed, confused.

"Who called you? Just before the crash, who called you?" Hana whipped around, attempting to keep her shaking voice calm.

Travis froze for a fraction of a second but swiftly regained his composure.