Why couldn't he have just tried being more like Mom was?

With a short sigh, I pull on my sleep shorts.

I haven't eaten in a good few hours and it's finally getting to me, so I leave my room and head downstairs.

A part of me highly doubts I'll be able to sleep tonight, but all I want is to sleep this all away. Why couldn't I just do that? Imagine everything I could ever want into existence. I guess it would be pretty selfish.

"I was just wondering if there was any space for an older kid... thirteen, fourteen? Yeah, Summer's brother wants to be closer since their dad works a lot. Sure, I'll tell her. Thank you so much... Yeah, yeah, we'll be back soon. Bye, Emma."

I watch Noah, a little in awe of the fact that he just did that. Called for me and called Emma by her actual name. Maybe I'm much more of a good influence than I give myself credit for.

He tosses his phone onto the couch, turning around. By the way he looks at me, I know he wasn't expecting to see me standing here. I don't blame him. I may be fat, but I have the unintentional stealth of a... stealthy animal, I don't know.

"Hey." He says. I wave at him, widening my eyes again like I'm a very annoyed, awkward middle schooler. "I just got off the phone with What's Her Name."

I nod slowly. "I heard."

I half expect awkward silence to take over, but he makes sure that it doesn't.

"You feeling better?" He questions, taking slow steps closer to me. All I can do is shake my head.

What does he expect me to say after knowing what Dad did? How I feel about what Dad did? I guess, maybe, I'm being a little harsh. I doubt he's ever been in the middle of something like this. But I also feel like it's an obviously dumb question.

He squeezes my shoulder, giving it a little shake, urging me to look at him when he tips his head to the side to meet my gaze that's currently at my feet. I look at him and he smiles softly when I do.

"Everything is going to be okay, Summer."

Coming from his mouth, it's so much more convincing than the same thing I've been telling myself for the past two hours.

When all I do is nod again, he rolls his eyes.

He takes my hand in his and I frown as he leads us over to the couch. He only lets go of my hand to move the coffee table aside. I imagine that he wants to continue what we were doing back at Tamsyn, but instead of taking a seat on the floor, he grabs his phone off of the couch.

He volumes up his phone as much as it will go and does God knows what.

God knows what ends up being a Taylor Swift song, and I give him a questioning look as he tosses his phone back onto the couch.

He's smiling like an idiot as he takes my hand and spins me around.

"Come one, Summer!" He urges as I watch him begin dancing in his spot to the beginning of the song. He starts singing along to the lyrics as I cover my mouth with my palm.

No way is he actually doing this right now.

His eyes widen like he's telling me to get on with it. I roll my eyes and start dancing too. I start singing with him, everything around us and from before melting away.

"Twenty twooooo!" He sings, his voice cracking as he pulls me into him and spins me again.

We both laugh through our singing, and I can't believe I was ever contemplating throwing myself in front of a bus only an hour ago. Imagine missing this. Heck no.