Chapter 24

"My losing my Knighthood and being sent home is just a cover up," Vyron went on. "Only four people knew the truth: me, Her Majesty, Sir Gordon, and Lord Penton. And now you know too. Everyone else believes that I'm leaving because I was kicked out. Sir Gordon thought it would be best that way, people thinking that I'm in one place when I'm actually in another. He said that it would help my chances of infiltrating the Iteca without being called out as being a Knight. If they ever found out that I was one, then they would also hear that I was kicked out. I could tell them that I was angry at the Queen for that and that's why I joined them."

"But why?" Mouse whined unhappily. "Why would you say yes to him?"

"Mouse, I've never told you about my family before, have I?" Vyron sighed, running his hand through his hair again.

"No..." Mouse replied, unsure of where the conversation was going.

"Well long story short, my father left my mother for another woman when I was eleven," Vyron said softly. "This brought a lot of dishonour to my family and on that day I swore that I would do whatever it took to restore our family's name. Mouse, I had to say yes to Sir Gordon. Just think, if I were to be the one to bring down the Iteca from the inside, I would be the greatest hero that Keiento has ever seen! My family wouldn't have to live in shame of my father's actions anymore!"

"But what about me?" Mouse asked, knowing that it was a selfish question.

"Mouse, your asking me to choose between love and family," Vyron exclaimed, standing up. "Do you realize how hard of a decision that was for me? I only just gave Sir Gordon my answer today! That's why I didn't come see you! I knew that if I did, that I would never be able to say yes!"

"Then why did you?" Mouse cried, standing as well. "If you knew that you wouldn't have been able to say yes, then why did you?"

"Mouse, I have to look out for my family!" his voice rose in frustration, trying to make her understand his decision. "They're depending on me! How can you expect me to turn my back on them? Mouse, I can't lose my family! They mean everything to me. Don't you understand how important family is? How much they - Oh!" He stopped short as he realized what he had said, seeing the pain in Mouse's eyes. She slowly sank back down onto the bench.

"Mouse, I didn't mean to-" Vyron tried to apologize, sitting down beside her.

"You're right," she said softly. "I know what it's like to lose your family... And I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially not you." Tears trickled down her face, the pain in her heart growing.

"Mouse, I'm so sorry," Vyron said softly, taking her into his arms and stroking her hair, trying to soothe her.

"Please, don't be," Mouse sighed. "You're right. Family and duty have to come first, before friends, before dreams, before love." She drew away from him slightly and looked up into his eyes.

"I should have told you this sooner," she said sadly. "Vyron, I... I love you." She watched him as her words sunk in. He blinked his eyes a couple of times in surprise.

Maybe he thought that I didn't feel the same, she realized. Since I never told him that I loved him back.

"You do?" his voice was so soft that Mouse struggled to hear it. She lightly bit her bottom lip as she nodded, "I do."

"Now it's going to be so much harder to leave," he sighed, lightly brushing a strand of hair from her face. "Especially after doing this!" He leaned down and kissed her lips, softly at first, but then more fiercely, as if he never wanted to part from them. His hands softly cupped her head as he kissed her and Mouse felt her hands reach up, twining themselves through his soft hair as she kissed him back.