Chapter 2- Guardian Angel

Tomoko and Josuke were devastated over Gramps who seemed to have passed from some sort of stroke or aneurysm right in front of Josuke. The boy tried desperately to halt his tears ever since it happened but it was of no use. Despite being a guest in the home for two weeks, you realized it was probably best to stay behind and let the Higashikata family have their private service without intruding. You were alone on this rainy morning while Josuke and Tomoko were gone...but Josuke seemed reluctant to leave you behind.

"Are you sure about this? I really think you should come." Josuke asked you for the billionth time. He seemed nervous about you being home alone with his eyes drifting to the faucet in the kitchen as well as the cup of tea in your hand.

"Yeah. I don't want to infringe...and besides, I can clean up for your Mom a bit so she doesn't have to come home to a mess." Your eyes scanned over to Tomoko who was silently waiting at the door for Josuke, the shock of her father's death still not had passed. Josuke leaned down towards you and placed his soft hands on each of your shoulders. The blue and pink hue you've seen before was still glowing across his whole body and didn't stop even when he touched you. It was...supernatural or something.

"Listen...my friend Jotaro is going to come here and keep you company during the service. Make sure you follow his instructions if he gives you any. He should be here in about twenty minutes. Alright?" You slowly nodded as your stomach twisted in your gut. Something weird was going on...why was he so worried? Does this have anything to do with the 'stand users' that Jotaro and Josuke mentioned? Japan is a strange place...

"S-sure...Josuke."  He suddenly smiled, sensing your unease. 

"It'll be alright. I'll be back in no time and it'll be too quick to miss me, sensei!" Josuke gave a sweet pearly grin while wearing his black suit for the funeral. He was a handsome boy for sure and one day he was bound to grow into a dashing young man. 

"I'll miss you both. Be safe and give my blessings to Gramps." You returned the bright expression. After Josuke and Tomoko left, you went to the kitchen to reorganize the cabinets, pantry, and refrigerator so any rotten or expired food could be promptly thrown away. Your eyes spotted a mostly empty wrapper that once contained a bread loaf and you sighed.

"Oh, Josuke...you always leave scraps for the rest of us. I guess I could stop by that convenience store just at the edge of the block and be back before Jotaro arrives..." Just saying his name out loud brought tingles of anxiety into your chest. Why did it feel like you were going to be babysat by this man...this stranger that you've never said more than a few words to? You felt like Josuke was hiding something...but you tried to push forward regardless of your fears.

Something was odd about Jotaro...and that feeling came deep within your soul.

You tried not to think too hard about him as you made your way to a Seven-Eleven just past the neighborhood. It was your new favorite store and it was so much nicer than any you've ever been to before. All the food looked fresh and well made, drinks were stocked and orderly, not to mention the cashiers were all polite. You picked up a loaf of milk bread as well as some curry mix that you could prepare for when Tomoko and Josuke returned. Tomoko had to experience her own father's funeral...the last thing she needed was to cook dinner tonight.

You carried your plastic bag in your hand as you walked past that mysterious boarded-up house again. A shadow figure was barely visible on the highest floor, a window completely open in comparison to when you passed it just a few minutes earlier.

Someone is in that abandoned house.

You need to run from here (y/n).

A voice that was not your own echoed in your mind with an ominous warning blaring clearly like an alarm. You turned to run back home but the moment you moved you felt a piercing pain rip into your spine and through your chest. A loud cough broke through your lips, splatterings of crimson blood coating your entire jaw and chest. Your hands shook as you looked down at your body...a medium-sized hole with a golden arrow stuck in it was all your vision could capture.