And on Portia if she decides to turn up, but I don't say that part out loud.

"I know love, sorry. Thank you for coming. Your Dad will be sad he missed you." She hugs me again. "You sure you can't stay for tea?"

"I really can't." I hesitate. "If Portia comes by, just, maybe not tell her I was here. I don't want anyone thinking I'm skipping on my royal duties before I drop the news of my replacement."

"Of course, this can be our secret." She smiles, yet it doesn't reach her eyes. I can tell she wants to say something, only she doesn't.

"Mum."

"You let me talk too much about the wedding. I should have known better, you've just been avoiding talking about yourself. What is really going on? Is it Apollo?"

"No, it's not him. We're something like friends, well, maybe we will be." Her arm goes over my shoulders and we move to the sofa.

My head rests on her shoulder as she lightly rubs my back. It's nice and I'm not ready to go back to face my current reality. Even with the newest revelations on just how ridiculous my life now seemed to be, nothing had changed only something had. The enormity of my actions, of the power the Fates had, on just how little say we had over the big picture had finally hit. Again, that wasn't new information, and Hecates didn't believe it was so final. Every action has its own reward and consequence.

"What is it then, love?" Mum pushes.

"This journey, my life, even my-" I shook my head. "I don't know if I'm even doing the right thing anymore or if I'm just looking for trouble."

"What does your gut tell you?" She asked softly.

"I thought here is where I am supposed to be. I want to come back home, but now I'm not so sure." I admit. "If I do, I don't want to leave my friend at risk of having to face the consequences of my actions. I've done a lot of things lately to piss off some very powerful people."

"Does your friend know this?"

"Yes. It's all been so rushed, I don't think either of us has really understood what it will mean."

"Is your friend-"

"If you say Apollo, I'm leaving right now." I warn.

"I was going to say Kara, that nice Valkyrie?" She answers, pausing the back rub.

"Oh. Yeah."

"I feel she knows exactly what she is doing, as do you Ellie." Mum looked thoughtful for a moment. "You've always marched to the beat of your own drum. It's given me more of these grey hairs than I'd care to admit and too many sleepless nights. I'd wished many times you were more like I was at your age or even your brother only, then you wouldn't be you and not having you around would be even worse. I don't know what is really going on, but don't let someone else have this kind of power over you. You are much too brilliant to let them dull your sparkle."

"So you're telling me that I should-"

"I'm not telling you anything. It never works out well for us when we try." She laughs. "Stay for dinner. Think it over, now you're home it might give you a different perspective."

I sit up, tucking a leg up underneath me as I face her. "Nice try. I can't, not tonight."

"Despite how you feel about everything, right now, I also have my own beliefs. I believe people come into our lives when they are meant to and for a reason. Your friend is a perfect example of that. That reason is only yours to discover. She came when you needed her, so maybe this is what she needed you for?"