05

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND GALINA IVANOV WERE BOTH ADEQUATELY DRUNK as they returned to 221B Baker Street.

They weren't pissed or slobbering, but highly tipsy from several champagne glasses that kept falling into their hands.

"Did you really have to say that to the Комиссар полиции (police commissioner)?" Galina asked, her English coming out choppy with a strong accent thanks to her inebriation.

"Come on, no one believed that his hair was real. I was simply pointing out the obvious," Sherlock laughed, fumbling as he closed the door behind them.

Galina was trying to hold up both her heels and her dress as she made her way to the stairs, but her balance faltered and she ended up tripping on the first step.

Sherlock mumbled something under his breath as he walked toward her.

Galina thought he was simply just going to step over her but she was shocked when he knelt down and tucked his arm under her knees and supported her back with his other arm.

He carried her bridal style up the stairs as they both laughed and she leaned her head on his chest as he swayed her side to side.

When he lowered her down on his feet, he couldn't force himself to remove his hands from her body so he rested them on her waist. He hummed when she wrapped her arms around his torso and looked up at him.

Her braid had completely come undone and this time, he could not resist pushing the stray hairs behind her ears.

She sucked in a short breath as his hands cupped her face and she could feel his fingers trembling from the touch.

No words needed to be spoken to know what was going on in their heads.

Galina wanted something from him.

She wanted him to hold her tighter, to bring her closer, to allow himself to completely melt into her the way she wanted to melt into him.

Sherlock wanted something from her as well.

He wanted to have the galls to dip his head down and brush his lips against hers, to let go of all the anti-sentimental thoughts he had crafted over the years, to allow himself to be open fully at all of life's possibilities.

Galina Ivanov brought out a younger version of himself; the young man he could have been and that he never got to enjoy because of the trauma that had plagued his childhood.

No words needed to be spoken as he lowered his head as far as he could and as she angled hers while trying her hardest to accommodate his size.

However, the universe had a different plan.

An annoying cough resonated through their living room as they broke apart quickly and turned their heads toward the fireplace.

Mycroft Holmes, of all people, was standing in their living room; arms crossed, umbrella resting against Sherlock's chair, eyebrows furrowed, and lips curled into a snarl. 

"Mycroft! What a pleasant surprise!" Galina shouted, immediately forgetting the younger Holmes as she bounded toward Mycroft. "Я думала, что ты забыл обо мне (I thought you had forgotten about me)!"