Part 2

The following days were as if in the fog. Mary avoided Matthew, and he in turn hers. Carlisle did not appear again, the engagement was canceled, with the agreement that Mary was turning a blind eye to his behavior, and he was silent about Pamuk for the rest of his days. Cora successfully recovered and was active in helping Isabelle with her charity work. Lavinia's funeral was quick, and Matthew left as soon as the grave was covered with earth. Mary did not have time and a word to say a to him. Everything went on as usual. Isabelle often came to dinner, but Matthew refused and did not appear for more than a week. Mary was tormented and yearned for him, but to come herself was below her dignity.

In the meantime, changes were also taking place below. Mr. Bates was in prison, and Anna walked sad and gloomy. After Ethel left, a new maid, Jane, was taken into the house. She was very sweet and pretty. She did her job well and was very gentle. One morning, she went to clean up the small library, but when she found Lord Grantham there, she was shy.
-I'm sorry, My lord, I thought there was no one here,- the maid answered confusedly. The earl looked at her, and inwardly noticed her attractiveness, because Cora had not been paying enough attention to him lately; she had been running back and forth forever organizing something, cooking with Isabelle.
- No no. Everything is fine. I already left, - and with a smile Robert left the room.

                                       ***

In her room, Mary sat at the dressing table and watched Anna do her hair. Despite everything, she really liked when her maid accidentally touched her back with her thin fingers. Every time she throttled when she buried herself in her magnificent hair, making a hairstyle. Anna was depressed. Mary turned and looked carefully at her maid. She understood everything.
- Anna, how are you? Any news from Mr. Bates? - Milady asked excitedly
- From him there was no news for some time, my lady, for some reason they stopped letting me in, - the maid answered afflictedly.
-I hope everything will work out,- Mary involuntarily stroked her shoulder. Anna suddenly burst into tears. She cried so much that the stunned Mary had to press her against her. Reassuring Anna, she stroked her head and said in a soft voice that everything would be fine. Suddenly, Anna raised her head, and pursed her lips into Mary's. Mary was taken aback, but did not pull away, contrary to her expectations, she answered the kiss. Thoughts flashed through her head, a voice of reason shouted that it was unacceptable, some part of Mary was insanely disgusted by the fact that she was kissing a woman, much less a maid. Lady Mary controlled herself and pulled away. Anna realized what she had done and, filling up with paint, squeezed into a lump. Mary was tempted to yell at her, but realizing that this was her fault, she gave an excuse, she answered Anna's kiss, Mary decided to end this without quarrels and scandals. As soft and calm as possible, she said:
-Anna, I do not want to give you any hope, I love Sir Matthew. Desperately. And you, I think, love Bates, all this happened only because we are both heartbroken. We have problems with our soul mates, and no one makes us feel welcome, loved. All that happened is a mistake, I hope it stays between us, and that too,- She went to Anna and kissed her again. The kiss was weightless and gentle. Mary pulled back and smiled at the embarrassed maid. Anna, realizing that everything was in order, picked up Mary's things and left the room, smiling at her mistress for the last time. Mary exhaled. What a stupid thing? How could she allow this? Her maid is completely corrupted and begins to corrupt her. How will she look into her eyes after that? She felt disgusted from herself, and she slammed the lid of the casket with the beads out of the room. During lunch, nothing interesting happened, except that Mary found out that Matthew would honor them with his presence for dinner. She decided that she would miss it, citing a headache. After lunch, Edith slipped away somewhere, Sir Anthony Strelon invited her to ride with him and have a little chat. Edith was at the peak of her article. After all, few people paid her attention. She was, so to speak, a freak of this family. She had a hard time, she was burned with anger and envy of Mary. She was more beautiful, smarter, more noble, and indeed better. She hated her, and therefore wrote a letter to the Turkish ambassador, hoping to ruin the reputation of her older sister. But Mary got away with it, as Edith thought, therefore, except for lousy rumors, nothing was found out. Edith winced at the thought of Mary, and left the house. She goes to meet her happiness, hoping to wipe Mary's nose, without thinking that the latter, completely do not give a damn about her sister. She and her problems were enough. After all, few people paid her attention. She was, so to speak, a freak of this family. She had a hard time, she was burned with anger and envy of Mary. She was more beautiful, smarter, more noble, and indeed better. She hated her, and therefore wrote a letter to the Turkish ambassador, hoping to ruin the reputation of her older sister. But Mary got away with it, as Edith thought, therefore, except for lousy rumors, nothing was found out. Edith winced at the thought of Mary, and left the house. She goes to meet her happiness, hoping to wipe Mary's nose, without thinking that the latter, completely do not give a damn about her sister. She and her problems were enough.