Part 1

Mary sighed wearily and left her room. Once again, Richard raised his voice and threatened with reprisal if she did not stop flirting with Matthew, who was already engaged. This obnoxious newspaperman even dared to raise a hand on her, but he restrained himself in time. At that moment, thoughts flashed through Mary's head that she was making the biggest mistake of her life. He will beat her, if she does not lie on the same bed with him and does not satisfy his male desires, and she could not even imagine how she would kiss him, not to mention how they would have sex. She went to the gallery and heard soft music. Matthew Matthew and his gramophone. God, how she loved him. She did not stop loving him for a second. She loved him while she lived and breathed. With heavy sadness in her eyes, she looked down from the gallery, and saw him, trying to learn a wedding waltz. Mary went downstairs and asked a duty question, in order to at least start some kind of conversation.

-Where are the others?-She asked in a trembling voice. How would she like to dance with him.
-I'm not sure everyone seems to have broken up,- he smiled. It has long been obvious that he does not love Lavinia, much less is ready to connect his whole life with her. A strong sense of duty forced him to do this.
-I have not heard this melody before, it is beautiful
-I agree. I heard her on the musical, a show that flopped,- he gave her a hand, inviting her to the dance. Mary was surprised and at the same time delighted at such an opportunity to touch him. Slowly and carefully, they moved to the beat of the music.
-Can you manage without your stick?- Mary asked in alarm and care in her voice.
-You're my stick,- Matthew answered with a smile. After dancing for a couple of minutes, Mary said: « We were a show that flopped » At that moment, Matthew's chest got cold and tightened. How he wanted to be with her. See her every minute of your life, wake up close and kiss her puffy lips, play with naughty curls and just enjoy each other.
- Oh God, Mary. I am so sorry. I'm sorry. You know how sorry I am, - he almost cried, but held on firmly.
-Dont be. It wasn't anyone's fault, and if there was, it was only mine.
-You know that cousin Violet came to me and told me to marry you,- he smiled at the edge of his lips.
-God! When was this?
-While ago
- And what did you said?- Mary said hopefully in her voice
-I cannot push away the Lavinia's sacrifice of her life, her children. When she took care of me knowing that I would remain disabled. And now that I've recovered, just throw her away. I couldn't, could I ?
-Of course not,- Mary answered in a fallen voice,
-However much I might want to, - Matthew looked at her with eyes full of love and kissed her. This kiss was light and gentle. He showed all the love and hopelessness between them. Mary ran a hand through his hair, and he confidently and firmly held her back. They kissed for a while. "Hello," they heard Lavinia's voice, and immediately broke away from each other. How Mary did not want to remove her hand from his naughty tangled hair, and Matthew let go of her alluring lips.
-What are you doing here, so late?-He asked Lavinia, hoping that she didn't see anything. -I'm ready to go home,- she said.
-No,- Mary said gently, - you don't need, dear, you can spend the night here, Lie down in my room, the fireplace is just kindled there, don't worry, you'll definitely get better, - Mary said it so kindly and sweetly, although in reality she only wanted to cry. She could never be with him. Never. Lavinia went up the stairs, and Richard came out of the library. He saw absolutely everything. Dance, conversation, and most importantly, a kiss. While Matthew turned off the gramophone, he went up to Mary and unceremoniously grabbed her hand, so much that her wrist cracked and she gasped softly, dragged her into his room.
-What do you allow yourself, Mary ?! I keep your dirty secret, and you are not faithful to me! I will make you be mine, and only mine, remember this. Don't dare argue with me,- he squeezed her hand to pain, but Mary didn't even flinch.
- Let me go. It hurts me. You dare not speak like that to me. I will not hide, you are disgusting to me. I can't see you, not like enduring your touch - she should have said it sooner or later, maybe it would have instructed him, and he would have canceled the wedding. But, Richard did not give up so simply
- I will make you put up with them. Moreover, they will be pleasant to you.
He pushed her onto the bed and began to kiss her lips, neck, face and shoulders. Mary frantically rushed and screamed, she hit him on the back, which made him furious. He hit her on the cheek with a swipe. Burning pain pierced Mary, and a red spot began to spread on pale smooth skin. But Lady Mary didn't want to give herself so easily to him, she resisted and pulled herself out in every way. Richard began to roughly tear a black silk dress on her and bared his chest until the corset began to fiercely caress her. Mary hit him in the face. Richard's answer was not long in coming. He hit her on the lips so hard that blood splattered from her lower dissected lip. Mary screamed that she had the strength: -Enough. Please stop! Help me!
A new hit for disobedience fell on the left cheek. Richard's ring pierced her skin, forming a bruise. Mary sobbed and forces left her. She was still struggling, but hope was evaporating. That's how it will happen. It would be better if she died. Richard brutally caressed her breast, then returned to his lips, smearing Mary's face in her own blood. She uttered a final cry, and her hope ran out. Richard pulled down. To her forbidden place. She hit him on the head. To her, the hit seemed strong, but to him, a strong man, it was only a drop of rain on a summer day. He got up and again hit Mary in the face. She went limp on the bed. Suddenly, the door to the room swung open and Matthew flew into it. What he saw made him shudder with pity for Mary and with hatred for Carlisle. « Let her go now, » he pounced on Carlisle with his fists and hit his jaw. Richard flew off to the side, and Matthew grabbed Mary in his arms and ran out of the room. He ran to the library and laid it on the sofa. Mary's face was in terrible condition. Her cheeks were burning, her lips were bleeding, and the bruise was turning blue on her left cheek. Mary was barely breathing with fear, and when she opened her eyes and saw Matthew, she began to cry uncontrollably in his arms. He stroked her back and wailed that everything was already behind and she was safe. But Mary just couldn't forget Carlisle's nasty hands. She raised her eyes to Matthew, hiding behind the remains of the dress, and lost consciousness.
****