He frowned defensively, "You're pathetic!"

"Mature," Sonny snickered.

"Mature," he mocked in a squeaky tone, trying to bat the wrapper away. It didn't budge. "Help me!"

"Nah, I'm good."

"You little—"

"Ed!" Her mother scolded as she marched over, tucking a piece of tarp under her arm. She snatched the wrapper and tossed it aside, uncaring. "See? Easy."

"Easy," Sony mocked.

Ed stuck out his tongue at her.

"Such a child," the woman rolled her eyes, pointing her finger at Sonny, "Both of you."

Sonny's nose scrunched up. Personally, she didn't think she was childish at all. Not like the other Kook kids, at least, who usually acted like they'd stopped progressing aged six, mostly because they never really needed to grow up.

Everything was handed to them, immaturity and all. Kids from south side actually had to hunt for opportunities, kinda like that Heyward kid, who she heard wanted a scholarship on the main land. According to her parents he was smart, but his only chance of actually amounting to anything was acing an interview to get his college fees paid for, which was something Sonny didn't have to worry about — and not just because she didn't really intend to jet off to college. If she had wanted to go, she could've. Her parents were able to afford it. Instead, Sonny was wasting a luxury, one kids like Heyward would keel over and die for.

    "Honey?"

   Her mother's voice disrupted her thoughts.

    "See if you've got service," she told her, "Maybe go ask at the neighbours, too."

   Sonny fought back a groan.

   Lips pursed, she slipped her phone out from her pocket. It was a long shot, but she was quietly hoping there would be full bars at the top of the screen. She would even take one or two, anything that meant she didn't have to go knocking on doors around the neighbourhood.

   But, unluckily for her, there was nothing.

   No service, just the few messages Sonny hadn't bothered to open before the hurricane. They were all from the same guy, anyway. Well, expect for one, but she didn't feel like replying; she didn't even know how they had her number.

    "Anything?"

   She sent her mom a tight smile.

    "Well..." Sonny drawled, earning a skeptical stare as she tried to come up with a good lie. She locked her screen and then wiggled her phone, "No battery."

    "I told you to charge it before the storm," the woman let a sigh pass, shaking her head.

   Sonny shrugged. Her mother tutted, muttering under her breath, but she didn't have to ask around so she would take it. The last thing she wanted to do was pay a visit to the people she couldn't stand. Because while Sonny may have been Kook worthy and lived on Kook territory, it didn't make her one. Hell, Sonny wasn't even close! Never felt like a Kook, never would. Didn't act much like a Kook, either. Everybody in Figure 8 knew it.